Hanging hand tool storage

Steve Ash

I noticed a thread where a couple of guys said they needed to build a tool cabinet for their hand tools.

Coincidentally I had been looking in some past magazines for a idea on one for myself. I don't have a lot of old tools, but the ones I do have were given to me by my father and a couple of those were his fathers, hand planes, squares, marking guages, a few chisels, a cabinet scraper, spokeshave, etc....so it has crossed my mind I should build something for these tools other than in the bottom of a drawer in my shop.

Fine woodworking magazine (#188) has a nice article on a wonderful tool cabinet....probably way more than I would ever need, but like I said I'm looking for ideas.

Anyone want to share pictures of theirs and maybe some likes/dislikes of their design?

Thanks.

Thats something I've been wanting to do also, but no time.
Currently I just have a couple of upper kitchen cabinets [misfits I mismade:eek: :eek: ] to store my set of type 13's and some other stuff.

Well this one ....
open-far.jpg
... is mostly made of Ash.

(the carcass used to be a wooden wagon)

One thing about my cabinet is that I have not put in any storage for planes. I don't have that many compared to some folks, but enough that I knew it'd fill up a cabinet pretty darn quickly unless you made the cabinet big, and I just wanted it modest sized.

of course, but look closely at the studley chest... left half , about 1/3 up

ahh, I see it.

Hey Jim Young...since I am a Mason and the emblem is in the Studley chest...I am Studley by association....so there.:headbang:

Now back to our currently programmed thread about tool storage cabinets.