Chainsaw Recommendations?

Alex Reid

Looking to get a new chain saw. Currently I'm using a 14inch Ryobi that is getting old and is inadequate for my needs. Any recommendations for a 16 or 20 inch?

Alex the Shindaiwa and the Tanaka brands are good, but I noticed that Super Viva Home is now selling the Huquavarna saws. I'm going to the Misato store on Sunday, I'll check prices for you, if you like, I remember them being a LOT less than the MSRP that Husky puts out there.

Like the Husky 346XP they want 181,650 yen on the Husky site, that is $2220 USD fellas :eek:

>> USA Price <<

>> Japan Price <<

If you want a good saw, you might be better off buying it in the US and shipping it over, as long as it has never had gas in it, I think it can be shipped.

Thanks Stu. I was looking at the Auction site for that model and thought too much. But the US price is within my price range. At that big of a price difference I may wait until I am back in Canada and get one then. I will be going back sometime this year. I just finished bucking, splitting and stacking about half a cord of firewood so I don't really need it right now. Sure could have used it this week though. :rolleyes:

Alex, Stihl and Husqvarna are the two top brands, and for good reason in my opinion. There are other good ones too, though. I chose Stihl because the local chainsaw shop said he could get Stihl parts more readily than Husky parts. Other locations might be a different story. Being in Japan, it might be worth looking around to see what (if any) brands are more easily serviced. If Husky or Stihl service is available, I think it'd be worth the wait until you're on this side of the world to get one. You might find one of the good Japanese brands are the local favorites. IN that case, you might be better to go that route. Shindaiwa and Echo are two that come to mind. (Not sure if Echo is sold in Japan, but it has Japanese roots.)

If you get one of the premium brands, be sure to wear face protection or else you'll get sawdust on your teeth from grinning so much when you're using it. ;)

Service in Japan could be an issue but my vote goes to Stihl. Company policy is to take care of the customer and that is backed up by the great treatment I get from our local dealer.
Plus, IMHO, it is the best, hands down. Husky prices locally are outrageously high and that puts them out of the picture for me.
BTW, never use gasoline with ethanol in a Stihl product.

Service in Japan could be an issue but my vote goes to Stihl. Company policy is to take care of the customer and that is backed up by the great treatment I get from our local dealer.
Plus, IMHO, it is the best, hands down. Husky prices locally are outrageously high and that puts them out of the picture for me.
BTW, never use gasoline with ethanol in a Stihl product.

We don't put our food supply in our gasoline here in Japan Frank, just straight long dead dino-oil :D:thumb:

another stilhl vote after over 30 yrs of use with them..like vaughn says husky and echo are also good,, but feel that stilh gets the nod in my experience..

Stihl and Husqvarna are my two choices . I've owned 2 Husqvarnas that were awesome saws.(they were stolen so now I've got to replace them:mad:) One had a 36" bar the other a 24" bar. Both were very reliable. I worked in a small engine shop in alaska for a while and had both stihl and Husqvarna saws came in for minor things, the Husqvarna was the easiest to work on IMHO, but the stills were not bad, just a little more work to take apart. Both are top quality machines with good customer service from the companies.

The Husqvarna filters the air through the flywheel first which separates the majority of the saw shavings/dust out before it gets to the carb. Stihl recently came out with this feature. I highly recommend this, it makes a night an day difference on the life of your filter and the longevity of your saw.

(on a side note: if any of you do your own tuneups, don't forget to clean out the little screen inside the carb!)

The Stihl has more metal on it than the Husqvarna, but I can't see any real-world pro or con of this. Of all the loggers I've dealt with I've never had one say that this a detractor or benefit of either saw they both will last forever if well taken care of.

Stihl has a great selection of their own chains that I really like, but I usually go with Oregen chains myself.

I definitely would not buy a saw other than these two brands and in these brands I would go one size larger than you think you will need, in my opinion the extra couple 100 that it may cost is a very rewarding and worthwhile investment. I've never regretted buying my saws, one was 700 the other just over 1k. But for the 3-500 range it will be a one time purchase for the next 25+ years if you take care of it.

Well, that's my opinion.

Brian

Look into the easy start feature.
The hackberry tree I cut up recently was at a preachers house. That preacher was down right envious. I believe if I had looked the other way he would have stolen it. ;)
It really is a great feature.

I have a husky Alex and have had no complaints abouty it. it is older model but it runs like a top. Stihl is a great brand too as is Echo. You should get one that is servicable in your area and not one that has to be sent away.

You guys are pointing me in the right direction. i checked some more on the auction site here and found a new 455 Husky with a 20" bar and two chains going for 52,800 yen. It's a little more than what you folks pay but... Any of you using this model? How is the start up and the vibration?

Husqvarna 346XP NE

It will be shipped to me around the 16th. But I purchased a 346XP NE two days ago. It seemed to be the best all around for my needs. Will post a pic when I get it.

Good choice! In that size catagory it is easily the number one pick among pros. Just as powerful as the 455 rancher, but a lot less weight, quite snappy.

I tried both out the other day and will be buying a 346XP in the spring, unless I end up with a 357XP. Its down to those two, just a money consideration.

Finally got the 346XP NE setup and tested it out today. While my old 14" was quite laborious and back breaking this one is like cutting bread on the kitchen counter. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

346XP NE with 20" bar
chainsaw.jpg