Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this worth a look?

Is this worth a look?

http://www.whirlwindtool.com/

While not a SawStop, it is something to think about.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you don’t know what tool to buy next, then you probably don’t need it yet.

My first thoughts concerned just touching the guard will shut the machine down. Maybe a little over done. You're concentrating on avoiding contact with the guard instead of the task at hand. You need to pay attention to that chunk of wood and what it is doing. I think that people might become frustrated when the saw keeps shutting off at the slightest provocation. Just my .02

Chris Hatfield is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    No downtime when that happens, though. Just start it back up with no added costs.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I never let my hands get close enough to the guard for that to be an issue, re: constantly shutting down.

I'm kind of with Roger on this one. It's a commendable attempt at making a safety device, but the guard seems overly large and in the way, or at least it'd be in the way for a good percentage of the cuts I make on a tablesaw. (Same as pretty much any other blade guard I've seen.) Then again, my tablesaw use probably isn't all that typical.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I'm kind of with Roger on this one. It's a commendable attempt at making a safety device, but the guard seems overly large and in the way, or at least it'd be in the way for a good percentage of the cuts I make on a tablesaw. (Same as pretty much any other blade guard I've seen.) Then again, my tablesaw use probably isn't all that typical.
    X2 I use my table saw a lot to cut thicker edging veneers and I need to be able to see what I'm cutting.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

A commendable effort to design a safety device. But, it looks awkward. And "1/8 of a second" seems like a long time compared to the (reported) instant stop of a SawStop.
    This might be sign of a trend to develop safer tools.
    Like other items (cars, guns, knives, etc.) the best safety device is the nut operating the tool.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    I like the idea of folks working towards safer equipment, it can't hurt...but I know all too well 'first hand', that the equipment is not the end all solution.

What bothers me about this ad, is the following...clipped from their site...
    "If the operator approaches or touches the clear blade guard fence"
    the word 'approaches' makes me wonder, how often it does in fact shut down, lot's of room for interpretation with that statement alone.
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    And "1/8 of a second" seems like a long time compared to the (reported) instant stop of a SawStop.
    Considering your finger would be about 1" from the blade when it shuts down, 1/8 of a second seems 'fast enough'. With the Sawstop instant is better only because you must actually com in contact with the blade to actuate the brake.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

It a cool idea. But at-lass it would work just like the safety guard that I have for my saw now. High up on the shelf where it is safe form harm.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

THE TECHNOLOGY IS HERE. EMBRACE IT. SAWSTOP IS THE NAME.

think about not spending 300 dollars on a router lift and bend down more often, so you can afford a sawstop and have piece of mind that you might save yourself pieces of yourself one day.

Stop looking at devices that cost money and arent the right thing.

My wife called me stupid for not buying a sawstop the instant I knew about it.
    Last edited by allen levine; 02-05-2011 at 12:39 AM.