8 cups beef stock
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper
1 loaf French bread
2 cups grated Gruyere
Directions
Saute onions and garlic in oil over low heat until tender and golden yellow. Sprinkle flour over onions, cook a few minutes more, browning the flour well. Add stock and wine and bring to a boil, add thyme and bay leaf. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer gently for 20 minutes or so. Add salt and pepper, to taste.

Meanwhile, slice French bread into 3/4-inch slices and butter both sides. Toast slices on griddle until golden brown. Ladle soup into an ovenproof bowl, add toasted bread and cover with cheese. Place ovenproof bowl on a baking sheet lined with tin foil. Bake at 350 degrees F or 5 minutes under a hot broiler.

The best ones we've made is from Cooks Illustrated

Takes a while, but very good.

I always have very freaky dreams after eating french onion soup....

And just a plug for Cooks Illustrated and Cooks Country magazines. Kind of like WoodSmith and Shopnotes, but for food, instead of wood. Great magazines that really think things through...

I dearly love French onion soup and I have been looking for a good recipe. I will be trying this one.

Last night I fixed dinner using canned French onion soup. Basically I made a sloppy roast beef and cheese sandwich.

Start with 3/4 pound thinly sliced roast beef from the deli, 1/4 pound provolone cheese, some Worcestershire sauce and some hoagy rolls.

Open a can of French onion soup and add 1 tablespoon Worcestershire soup to it in a saucepan. Bring to a boil.

Slice your hoagy rolls and place on a baking pan. I like to cover the pan with foil to reduce clean up. Pre-heat the oven to 400.

Slice up the roast beef into bite sized pieces and add to the soup mixture. Heat thoroughly. Slice up the provolone into strips that will fit on the hoagy roll.

Once the meat is heated distribute it among the hoagy rolls and cover with the cheese.

Put the baking sheet in the oven and bake until the roll is toasted and the cheese is all melted.

Remove from oven, serve on a plate and drizzle the sandwich with the remaining soup mixture. Makes a pretty good sandwich. It would be even better with Don's recipe.

Looks great, Don. The toughest part when I cook onion soup is being patient and waiting for the onions to caramelize properly!

I hope LOML doesn't see this thread; it's been a while since I've made onion soup. Of course, in the meantime, I've made my chili, sausage/lentil soup, pasta fagiole, etc......