Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ladder Stairs

Ladder Stairs

I am building a ladder stair to get to a loft. I don't have space to install a normal stairway. I purchased Basic Stairbuilding by Scott Schuttner and he addresses ladder stairs in the book but he doesn't really say how to make the upper cut of the carriage. I have tried several methods and none have worked. I am having a brain block, so I need some assistance. I have made the bottom cut and it's set to a 57 degree angle. I have the other dimensions if needed.

Here is the criteria I need to follow:
    1) I want the top of the carriage to be flush with the loft floor, which is approximately 9' 5-1/2" from the floor.
    2) The bottom of the carriage must stay at the original location, it cannot move forwards or backwards due to doors in the area.

I have attached a pic of this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ladder Stairs.jpg  

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Welcome Dennis! It's your first post since summer of '09? Wow. I'm sure you get some useful responses to your ladder question before long.

Welcome.
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    well I believe that this is the angle you are looking 4
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ladder.jpg  
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I figured it was 33 degrees, but when I lay this board in position how do I mark the board to make the cuts? That's where I am having the problem. I can't get the length of the board correct so that it is level with the loft floor.

If you drop a plumb line from the loft to the floor what is the distance from the bottom of the board to the plumb bob
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    If you drop a plumb line from the loft to the floor what is the distance from the bottom of the board to the plumb bob
    The distance from the loft floor to the bottom floor is 9' 5-1/2". By bottom of the board I assume you mean where the 2x6 meets the loft floor?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Dusek View Post
    The distance from the loft floor to the bottom floor is 9' 5-1/2". By bottom of the board I assume you mean where the 2x6 meets the loft floor?
    that is correct. u know one side of a right triangle if you can measure the distance from there you will know the second side andf can calculate the third side.

maybe this will clear things up
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ladder2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    that is correct. u know one side of a right triangle if you can measure the distance from there you will know the second side andf can calculate the third side.
    Yes I can calculate that. I thought you could just mark the board at the top when it was in place to indicate where to make the cut(s). Maybe you can't do that.

So Dennis, just what is it you want to know ? I am a little confused ?