Ladder Stairs

Dennis Dusek

I am building a ladder stair to get to a loft. I don't have space to install a normal stairway. I purchased Basic Stairbuilding by Scott Schuttner and he addresses ladder stairs in the book but he doesn't really say how to make the upper cut of the carriage. I have tried several methods and none have worked. I am having a brain block, so I need some assistance. I have made the bottom cut and it's set to a 57 degree angle. I have the other dimensions if needed.

Here is the criteria I need to follow:
1) I want the top of the carriage to be flush with the loft floor, which is approximately 9' 5-1/2" from the floor.
2) The bottom of the carriage must stay at the original location, it cannot move forwards or backwards due to doors in the area.

I have attached a pic of this.

Attachments

• Ladder Stairs.jpg
    Ladder Stairs.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 45
I figured it was 33 degrees, but when I lay this board in position how do I mark the board to make the cuts? That's where I am having the problem. I can't get the length of the board correct so that it is level with the loft floor.

If you drop a plumb line from the loft to the floor what is the distance from the bottom of the board to the plumb bob

The distance from the loft floor to the bottom floor is 9' 5-1/2". By bottom of the board I assume you mean where the 2x6 meets the loft floor?

that is correct. u know one side of a right triangle if you can measure the distance from there you will know the second side andf can calculate the third side.

Yes I can calculate that. I thought you could just mark the board at the top when it was in place to indicate where to make the cut(s). Maybe you can't do that.

So Dennis, just what is it you want to know ? I am a little confused ?:huh:

Sorry about being so confusing. It's hard to put into words.

Instead of calculating or measuring, I was looking for how you could take a straight edge or a level and with the board cut at the bottom and in it's final position on the floor, mark the required cuts at the top of the board where it meets the loft floor. Not sure this makes sense either?

Well if that's the case, what you need to do is to take one of the boards for the ladder side and put it into position.

Using a compass,
compass-pencil_~bxp26594.jpg
and holding it vertical, scribe the line from the floor onto the ladder leg. Now you have the line to cut to. Make that cut.

Replace the leg on the floor, and mark the cut at the top of the ladder.

Now you have both cuts made. Easy as pie!

Well if that's the case, what you need to do is to take one of the boards for the ladder side and put it into position.

Using a compass,
compass-pencil_~bxp26594.jpg
and holding it vertical, scribe the line from the floor onto the ladder leg. Now you have the line to cut to. Make that cut.

Replace the leg on the floor, and mark the cut at the top of the ladder.

Now you have both cuts made. Easy as pie!

Okay, I have already made the cut at the floor. But how do I mark/make that cut at the top of the ladder. That's where I am lost.