Exotic Wood Gloat

I went out today and bought a couple of pieces of some exotic stuff for an upcoming project. :D :D :D :D

"an upcoming project" ... "an upcoming project" ... hmmmm ... I wonder if she's referring to ... ? :huh:

If she is, I don't see how her _____ is going be inferior to my _____ when it's made with such high-falutin' woods. :eek:

Whatever the project Cynthia, best of luck with it! :thumb:

It's my box!! Yipee! That is some nice purple heart...dont forget to oxidize it before finishing so it does it's purple thing again. The kingwood looks like Tulip Poplar...very nice!

Cynthia, you can save quite a bit of wood is ya buy it rough and plane it your self. You got that DW 735 so start using it.

Yes, sir, I'll get right on that! :rofl: :rofl: I know, Don, but I'm not going to order 1 bf of rough lumber from my lumber guy down island when I can go into one of the local places and buy a little piece......Don't worry that 735 is going to get it's land speed test this week. For the next big project, I'll get all rough lumber, or maybe S1S since I don't have a jointer (yet) :D.

Yes, sir, I'll get right on that! :rofl: :rofl: I know, Don, but I'm not going to order 1 bf of rough lumber from my lumber guy down island when I can go into one of the local places and buy a little piece......Don't worry that 735 is going to get it's land speed test this week. For the next big project, I'll get all rough lumber, or maybe S1S since I don't have a jointer (yet) :D.
Don't need a jointer all ya need is a good rip blade for your Table saw.

Congrats, Cynthia. :thumb:

Jim, it's padauk, not purple heart. ;) The stuff that makes fine orange dust that gets everywhere. (But worth the hassle.)

Don, around my part of town, I don't know that I could find much in the way of rough-cut exotics. Rockler and Arroyo Hardwoods stock almost all surfaced lumber, or at least face planed. Bohnhoff Lumber downtown has rough lumber, but I don't think they have much in the way of exotics like kingwood...they maybe have padauk, but you'd have to buy the whole 10' board.

I went out today and bought a couple of pieces of some exotic stuff for an upcoming project. :D :D :D :D

Padauk and Kingwood

Man that Kingwood was so EXPENSIVE that I only took a little piece. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: But aren't they purdy? :thumb: :D

I've only turned Kingwood, but you'll love how it works... I've turned a few pens and a couple of game calls from Kingwood... sure smells nice when you work it.

I try to avoid Paduak, even though it's beautiful wood... I've done a bowl from Paduak, but lately I break out when I turn it, so I don't anymore.

Jim, it's padauk, not purple heart. ;) The stuff that makes fine orange dust that gets everywhere. (But worth the hassle.)

Don, around my part of town, I don't know that I could find much in the way of rough-cut exotics. Rockler and Arroyo Hardwoods stock almost all surfaced lumber, or at least face planed. Bohnhoff Lumber downtown has rough lumber, but I don't think they have much in the way of exotics like kingwood...they maybe have padauk, but you'd have to buy the whole 10' board.

well I just checked my local wood guy and he gets $24. bd.ft for 4/4 and $32 db.ft. for 8/4 Kingwood...:eek:

Padauk is $5.00 and $7.50

Crap...Still on meds:eek::(:doh:. But!!! Paduk is an amazing wood for pens. Great deep red, long grain and lots of depth. Great wood for turning!!

Those must be good meds, Jim. :D I hope I'm not allergic to it--I've got lots of allergies....:( but it is pretty. Don, my prices are higher. I can buy rough Padauk 4/4 KD for 8.95$CAD I paid about $11/bf for that S4S piece. Kingwood is nowhere to be found here. In fact it was with the Jelutong, and I thought that's what it was.

I'd never heard of either Jelutong or Kingwood. The Jelutong was half the price of the Kingwood. I paid about $25 for that little piece of Kingwood. In other words, I'm going to be very CAREFUL and stingy with it. :rofl: :rofl:

Wear a good mask with that stuff Cynthia as it will get every where and it is really really not good for the lungs.