Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ambitious Office Project

Ambitious Office Project

Hello there,

Thought I'd say hi and introduce myself!

My name's Gavin, and I've recently become interested in woodworking because of the following project.

I've always dreamed of a panelled office with some nice comfortable furniture - and I'm now in a position to make it happen.

My own woodworking skills aren't up to much, I need to get a bit more confidence with tools e.t.c.; but I've got an eye for design, and I can visualise how things will go together, so the plan is to work with some tradesmen, try and learn a bit of the practical skills "on site" and realise my plans!

The plan is to build it all in Sapele veneered board, and Kevazingo veneered board.

I have a *SMASHING UNCLE* Phillip who really is a diamond, and he's got access to a large veneer press - this was the saviour of the project, as he spent a weekend with me veneering birch ply boards with Kevazingo wood. I now have a load of this stock prepared for my "infill" panels.

The plan is to build a partners-style desk, two bookcases behind - one will have "Globe Wernicke" style hardware, the other on the other side will just be a "faux front" about 5 inches depth as a display case with 'tutch latches'.
    I have some nice grilles for a radiator cabinet in between for some symmetry.

Then there are the stairs, for which I have some nice "barley twist" spindles - and upstairs will be a circular library built out of sapele veneered block board with face-frames.

Fingers crossed it all comes together - the bit I am struggling with the most though, is the desk as I haven't really been able to find a plan which quite captures what I am after!

If this all comes together, I shall post some nice pictures!

I'll keep you posted!

Gavin

Welcome Gavin. Where are you from?

Sure sounds like an ambitious and expensive project
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Cant wait to see some picture and Welcome to the Family Gavin.
    Be sure and put where your form up so we can all see it.
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Nice to meet you, Gavin. Welcome to the forum.
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Welcome Gavin.

Don't wait until the project is finished. Post pictures as you progress.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

Welcome Gavin! I hope we see pictures.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Hello All!

Well let me just say, I am overwhelmed by all the great replies! Thank you very much for all being so encouraging!

I'm indebted to a friend Paul Rees, who has been encouraging me with this project. Paul trained as a cabinetmaker, but has been away from wood for a while. He's been happy to sit and chat about this for the past year, so it's slowly starting to all slot in together.

Here's some pictures of the Globe Wernicke Bookcase Mechanisms:

I had a real mission tracking down the hardware and had to import it from the US (Customs ( ) It's nice hardware, and it seems a lot of people are struggling to track it down, so it's worth reposting the link
    (I have no commercial ties with any of these organisations)
    http://www.hardwaretree.com/products...Bookcase+Parts

I also found these great installation instructions:
    http://www.vandykes.com/uploads/file..._09%5B1%5D.pdf
    One of the plans for the desk, is to have something like this really trick little keybaord pullout

I also found these *delightful* cocktail cabinet stays, whilst trawling the net. I like "clever" ingenious little mechanisms, and thought these were - so I'm posting them on incase anyone else is looking for some trick hardware.
    http://www.rufkahrs.com/shelbe/cocktail.html

Just linking back to another thread, where they are using the 'Kevazingo' AKA Waterfall Bubinga veneer:

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...840#post265840

Mike Henderson's sunburst table has made me very very excited about how these panels are going to look once they are up!

I've also been encouraged by this I just found on another forum - not quite as grand as Mike's sunbursts, but still lovely - the mention that they use this veneer in Learjets will be a nice talking point lol.

http://festoolownersgroup.com/member...ny-end-tables/

Welcome Gavin Sure sounds like you know what you want and will be exciting to see it come to reality. Keep up up with pictures as this promises to be a good build to follow