Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT Computer help...........again......

OT Computer help...........again......

OK first off, I swear, hand on heart, the next computer we buy WILL be an Apple, I'm real tired of this constant Windoze crap.

We have a laptop in the L shop, I've been using it for about a year, we bought it used, not too old, on the cheap, but in the last few months it is always having problems.

I think the HD is dying, if not dead.

I get the blue screen of death each time I try to start it.

Safe Mode too.

Win XPJ home

The BSD says "A problem has been detected and windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

Technical information: *** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x8235c9F0, 0x000009c,0x00000000,0x00000000)

Me thinks I need a hew hard drive, any computer guys out there that can offer any advice?

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Me thinks I need a hew hard drive,
    A sick hard disk sounds the most likely.

You could try booting off the setup CD, reformatting the disk and installing XP again from scratch. If this fails then it's new disk time

Good luck

Ian

Stu,

Here's a link that explains booting from a CD to attempt to recover your system if it's just a bungled file system.

Microsoft also has this page very poorly explaining the error message.

Good luck...
    - Marty -
    Fivebraids, Inc.
    When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there’s no end to what you can’t do…

Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Hi Stu,
    I built my own PC's for over 25 years. Always had the top of the heap. I FINALLY got tired of having to do two hours, to two day repair work in order to do a fifteen minute task. I switched to Mac four years ago. I have not had a boot problem, not ONE virus, no burps back to the original settings, none of that crap. I tell Mac to do something and it "Just Does it." And you can really multitask! I run 3 to seven programs at any given time with all my projects. Mac doesn't care. Drag and drop really works (Within and to and from all Mac apps!) You can have Mickeysoft Office for Mac so you will be compatible with the PC on word processing. (etc.)
    I'm sitting in the living room accessing all the computers, printers, scanners and back up drives out in the computer room. I can take the laptop out to the shop and do the same thing. I never get a "Can't the find network" problem.

A friend told me for years that if you think you should be able to do it, on a Mac, you can. Damn if he wasn't right. I will never look back.

No, I am not affiliated with Apple.

DT

Thanks Marty

Now I have to find the XP CD...........

Don, I swear, I've bought my last Windows machines
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

This is what you need, Stu.... I love mine!

PowerMac with dual 2.0Ghz G5 processors, 3Gb RAM, dual 160GB SATA HDs.

Connected to 20" Apple Cinema Monitor.

Alan DuBoff is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    I sympathize for you Stu, I ween'd my wife from windows this past Xmas, she got a Mac Mini. AFAICT, she loves it. Japanese was a big issue for us, and the Mac is good on localization. The thing is that even though the Mac Mini is on the slow side, it's so quiet that it works out really well. My wife was using windows on a development server I used to use as my desktop. It was so loud and was in the family room. She got the entry level, $599, includes OSX and they had a rebate for a free printer at Xmas.

The Mac Mini is awesome, and we got a free printer. My wife already had a 21" flat panel display, so it was a no brainer.

I will say that my son had bad experiences with Neo-Office (the Mac version of OpenOffice kinda-sorta), and he uses ms office almost all the time. Junko has been using the Neo-Office 2.x that is available (might be beta) and it's been fine for the stuff she needs to do. She needs to type and print recipes for the cooking classes she gives.

So far the only annoyance is that it always seems to print 1 copy no matter how many she tells it. That could have been a bug and an update might fix that, I don't know. I need to update it for her. Anyway, Neo-Office worked fine for all of her StarOffice documents. BTW, they had a really funny add in Japan where a lady gives birth to a horse in a mini-mart. Did you ever see it? They stand around and the guy says, "It's a miracle", and then they go into the StarOffice piece...it was a funny ad, in Japanese.

Now my wife is windows free. We have one last system running ms software, and probably won't get rid of that one...my son's gaming machine...he's learned how lousy the sofware is in the Northwestern region on the U.S. FWIW, I live 5 minutes from Apple, all the elementary and middle schools have Macs, entirely. The high school is mixed though, as it's under a different school district that blankets the high schools.

My kids use macs also... I use UNIX most of the time, and have a MacBook Pro that I dual boot Mac OSX and occasionally UNIX. But then, Mac OSX is UNIX.

Here is a question. What about those of us that have to run software that is not available for a Mac? I have some specialized software I have to have in my business. Is there anyway to run PC software on a Mac?

Of course I don't have problems with mine. Well rarely have problems. I got feed up with W98 and having to reboot at least twice a day many years ago. I broke down and bought W2K and never looked back. It works for me and as I said, rarely a problem. When I do have a problem it is usually hardware and not software.

Had people try to get me to "UPGRADE" to XP but no way. I love W2K. I have 3 computers in house now with the addition of a used one someone gave me for the shop. All networked and they just all work together.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

I have found XP to be the best OS yet. It seems to be very much 'self healing'. Really sounds like a hardware, specifically hard drive problem.
    Why PCs still have hard drives is a puzzlement to me. With all the high capacity flash memory available we still have a mechanical thing spinning in there subject to wear, dust and whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton View Post
    Here is a question. What about those of us that have to run software that is not available for a Mac? I have some specialized software I have to have in my business. Is there anyway to run PC software on a Mac?
    Yes you can. There are several ways to do this.

First- make sure you buy an Intel based Mac. All currently sold (new) macs are Intel based, so this only is an issue if you want to buy yoused.

Second- There are (at least) three ways to run Windows software on a Mac.

a) use bootcamp and you can dual-boot. So you can reboot your machine into Windows when needed. In my opinion, this is really only useful if your need for Windows is infrequent. Why? Because rebooting is a pain in the neck!

b) use Parallels. this is a software package that lets you emulate a PC and it runs "on top of" the Mac OS. So you pop open a Parallels window, and in that window you can run any PC OS you want: So you can run Linux, or you can run MS-Windows.

This is called virtualization and it is a VERY powerful and useful tool. Think of it, you can have a Parallels window/setup just to run Word. And another one just to run your specific app. And another one just to browse weird and suspicious websites such that ONLY THAT instance of the OS will be infected with viruses and spyware. And when you're done, just blow it away and create a new instance. Tada.

The downside of both (a) and (b) is that you need to buy a legal copy of windows to run.

c) use CrossOver Office from Codeweavers. This is a software package that is designed to emulate Windows. No, it isn't perfect, so it is not guaranteed to run all Windows software. Rather, the company has tuned it so that certain Windows Software runs very well. Details are on their website. They've got a huge list of software, and ratings for how well it works. And you can download a trial to see how well it works with your specific software.

Oh, and there is also a fourth option: make sure that you contact the company that makes the software you need and tell them that you want a Mac version. If enough people do, they'll see the market and fill it.

I know of a few companies that are careful to write their software in Java - since Java is portable and will run on Windows, Mac, Linux, Unix....

hope this helps.
    ...art