WoodRiver Low Angle Block Plane

I've got a Record 60-1/2 and an older Craftsman 60-1/2 that are pretty similar. Both work really well when sharp and adjusted properly. If something like these doesn't interest you, I'd skip the Woodriver planes and go straight for LN or Veritas.

Yes, but then LN used different materials, tighter machining tolerances, and thicker blades and chip breakers. I love my Bedrocks, but the LNs, IMO represent a technologically better plane. Likewise, the Veritas line of premium planes are also advanced in materials, and quality of build over the older Stanleys.

Didn't LN base their plane design on the Stanley bedrocks?

Yeah, originally. The block planes, shoulder planes, etc. are also upgraded copies of Stanley/Record/Preston originals. Unlike Lee Valley (Veritas), hardly any of L-N's products are truly original designs.

On another note, I'm beginning to wonder how many of the folks bad-mouthing the current Wood River planes have actually held - or even seen - one.

The current generation (3?) are a vast improvement over earlier tries. They're still not L-N quality - but they're only about one third the price of an L-N, too. I had the chance to look over the whole line recently, and they're actually pretty nice planes. They still may need a touch-up here and there, like flattening the back of th blade, or fitting the chipbreaker a bit better, but all-in-all, they're not bad. Fairly nice wood, and the sole on the #4 I ended up buying was dead flat. Sides were perpendicular to the sole, too - but that's really only necessary if you're going to be using the plane on a shooting board.

My opinion? If you live in "Old Tool Hell" where flea markets planes aren't common, you might think about giving a Wood River plane a try. But, if you've got the bucks, it's hard to go wrong with L-N or Lv.:D

Hand Planes

Hi,

I was also going to stay out of this. However, here I am.

At a woodshow a few years ago I purchased two planes. Glenn and I went back and forth between the Lee Valley Veritas and Lee Nielsen booths. Both makes felt good in my hands. Both brands planed the wood very well. Both of them appeared to be very well made.

The Lee Nielsen man said something like, "Let me tune this up a bit for you. I just finished demonstrating it to another person." It took him over 15 minutes to tune the plane. He felt that he had to tune it again to demonstrate it to Glenn and me. The blade was not resharpened in this process.

I mentioned tuning at Lee Valley booth. The man there said he would show me. I don't think it took him a full minuted to get the Veritas plane un-assembled, re-assembled and completely tuned. Again, without resharpening the blade.

I had three older Stanley planes (block, jack, and a real long one I cannot remember the name of). These planes took the same effort as the L Nielsen planes to get them to work their best. Yes, when tuned they worked fine. It was just a tension type of thing trying to get to the optimum set-up.

I purchased two Veritas planes at the show: 1) "Low-Angle Smooth Plane" and 2) "Low-Angle Block Plane." I love both of them. I can remove an iron and replace it with an iron with a different grind and have it tuned to perfection in less than two minutes. The cost at that time: Block = $129, Smoother = $192.

I am not poor. I am also a long way from rich. I darn near had a heart attack paying that much. I had king size buyer's remorse---the remorse went away right after I used them a few times.

My father was a great hobby person. Some of the things: Rare cacti, rare camelias, mineral collecting (one of his specimines was one of five in the world), faceting diamonds, racing cars, racing airplanes, racing boats, motorcycles, jewlery making, free flight model airplanes, etc. etc. etc. The family knew when a hobby was dead---when he started coming in first most of the time, when his gems won internationaly prizes, when the camelias were best in show, etc.

Then he was off on to a new hobby. I spread all of the above stuff so you would get a mind set because---He told me he learned to never buy the cheap or the mediocre tool (camera, drill press, whatever) because you will out grow it and buy something better. IT IS CHEAPER TO PURCHASE THE BEST FIRST because you save all of the money you would have spent on lesser quality items.

By the way, he was not rich either. He worked for the Telephone Co. Many times I have found his philosophy nerve wracking at time of purchase. However, I always found it the best way when I followed it.

Same subject but off of the LV, LN track. I have a delightful wood plane that Toni C made and gave to me. It has a Hock iron. It takes a little bit more time to adjust than the Veritas, however much easier and faster than the Stanleys. I am sure my set-up time for the wood plane will shorten as I use it more. I have only had it a few shop days.

I have absolutely no idea how much time and effort went into the making of the wooden plane. I do know I have been leaving it out on a shelf, easy to reach. Perhaps Toni could give you some leads on how to make a plane. Personally, I would 10 to 1 rather have it than the Stanleys.

As an added benefit, the wooden plane can be customized. Toni knows I am small so he only semi-finished the top, leaving it for me to shape it to my small hands. I have not reshaped it at all. I won't reshape it until I have used it some more---I do not want to whittle and regret. I do have two spots that are probably going to get sanded down a bit---but not yet.

Summary: I buy by quality. If money is tight, something else has to give. Buying cheap is expensive; I gave the Stanleys away (money wasted).

Enjoy,

Jim

Last edited:
Yes, but then LN used different materials, tighter machining tolerances, and thicker blades and chip breakers. I love my Bedrocks, but the LNs, IMO represent a technologically better plane. Likewise, the Veritas line of premium planes are also advanced in materials, and quality of build over the older Stanleys.

I agree Ken. I've got a stanley number 4 that I replaced the original blade with a Hock and it made a world of difference. I could only imagine what a difference other refinements would make in a plane.

I do have a LV block plane and I like it a lot.

decisions, decisions

I think you are better off buying an older stanley plane than a Wood River. IF you purchase from one of the many respected sellers, you would get a good unit that was close to ready to go. Minimize the work cleaning it up. Still, if you can swing it, I would suggest buying LV or LN.

I believe there is a middle ground that can be had by getting the old stanleys and updating the irons. I am pretty confident they can do 95% of what a LV or LN can do, but maybe not as quick.

I don't have the money to buy LV and LN right away, but I want to work now, so I have a stable of stanley type 11's that work reall well. I will continue to use them and upgrade their irons and chippers over time. As I can, I will purchase the LV bevel up smoother and LA Jack planes, and probably a shoulder plane, but I am working now with tools I enjoy.

Just my two cents.

About a week ago, I was in the local Woodcraft store and bought the WoodRiver low angle block plane with the knuckle joint lever cap. It's a very well made plane and appears to work well. I don't have a lot of time with it yet but I don't see any problems with it at this point. As I get more experience with it I'll post again, especially if I find any defects or problems.

Mike