elm burl

My apologies to those of you who've been forced to look at these photos on other forums.

This is a little elm burl that I scavenged from my tree guy's lot. I started this piece without a plan and finished up the same way! It's about inches in diameter and finished with BLO and wipe-on poly.

Comments, criticism, and suggestions appreciated.
elm-burl-5.jpgelm-burl-4.jpgelm-burl-2.jpgelm-burl-1.jpgelm-burl-3.jpg

My apologies to those of you who've been forced to look at these photos on other forums.

It's about inches in diameter and finished with BLO and wipe-on poly.

Exactly how many inches is that?:dunno:
Seriously that has got to be the (most naturally) coolest piece I've ever seen. The more I look at it, the more I like it. Plan or no, that's awesome! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Shaaa-zam! You nailed that one, David. :clap: I love the bag o' sand form. Hard to get right, but you did, in my opinion. Great work. Isn't improvisation fun? :D

That's really pretty... I had a 50 ft elm taken down about 3 years ago... let it lay too long and now it's more mush then wood... didn't have any burls in it though... wish I had taken a little more care of the wood before it disintegrated.. Elm is a nice wood to turn.

Why does that look like a volcano! That new shop must have inspired you doc. Since that one is hard to beat :drool::score:...what else ya got?:rolleyes:
I know it's mundane, but if you can spare a pic of the bottom?

I know it's mundane, but if you can spare a pic of the bottom?

I think somebody's got a 'bowl bottom fetish'!

Sorry, Jim. I didn't take any photos of the bottom mainly because it won't sit upside down... It's a self-righting hollow form I guess. Like most of the things I've done recently, it rests on a small, slightly concave area about an inch in diameter. I think there may be a shot of the bottom of the yellow box burl piece I did a while back... It looks about like that one.