Thread: Bathtub re-glazingor refinishing questions

Indianapolis area

Bathtub re-glazingor refinishing questions

We have a 39 year old cast iron tub in pretty good shape. It has no chips, one small rust stain and a dull finish. We do NOT want to replace it for several reasons. We would, however, like to get it looking better. The Lowe's bathroom guru said that we could get it refinished for about the price of a new one. He could/would not recommend someone to do this.

Does anyone here have experience with refinishing/re-glazing CI tubs? Any recommendations on this topic? I'm skeptical of a DIY system. Am I correct in this?

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Santa Claus, In
    Ron, when I was looking into that, I checked to phone book, if I remember right. Found a guy local. Ended up breaking it out and replacing it, but there are many folks out there that can help you out.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Many moons ago LOML got a DIY kit for our house and luckily I dragged my feet long enough to where we sold the house B4 I got around to doing it. I have seens adds where pro's do it and orffer a warantee. I would try it
    "Thereís a lot of work being done today that doesnít have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesnít have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

We went that route many years ago and ended up replacing the tub in the end. The refinishers all seem to have a problem in the drain area and many will not guarantee the tub peeling in that area. Guess where most of them start to peel. If the glaze is dull you may want to try and buff it back using rubbing compound like they use in the auto industry. Start with a coarse compound and work your way up to the finest available. Try this in a small area and see if you can improve the finish and if it works do the rest of the tub. A small electric/battery automotive polisher is required unless you intend to build up the muscles in one arm.