Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Building new shop

Building new shop

I have a 20'x40' wood and metal working shop.
    http://www.familywoodworking.org/for...ad.php?t=15137

I got the ok to build a bigger dedicated wood shop on the other end of the old chicken house. The building is 40' x 200'ish. I am thinking of walling off a 40'x50' room on the other end of the building. Here is the layout I was thinking about. Any thoughts about the layout, size, things I should include? I want to have a spray/finishing room, is 10x12 big enough, I will have a fan that exhausts outside. What is the best way to air back into the room, should I just have a vent in between the spray room and the shop?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen shot 2011-02-09 at 11.09.49 PM.png  

Wow to have that much space available Since you have that much building I would think you would make the finishing room larger, start spreading out a few projects or some cabs in a 10 x 12 area you will find it small real quick. I am sure some with finishing rooms will speak up on sizes but make it as large as you can

10 x12 finishing room is ok if yu have none, but if you got more room then use it.. i have a 12 x16 and wish it were bigger, on the air movemnet thing i have a fan blowing into the room and a exhaust fan sucking out the fumes clean air in at the top and dirty air out the bottom.. the clean air is filtered.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I would like to keep the wall that the door between the shop and spray room to 15' or less because of the way the floor is. There are 8' wide by 8" deep pits running the length of the building with walkways in between them. They were manure pits when it was a chicken house. So if I keep that wall to 15' then I don't have to cover another pit up. How big should I go with the spray room? How are spray rooms typically heated? The shop will be heated so the air that comes from there will be warm but if I have something in the spray room drying overnight it would be nice to turn the heat down in the shop to save on gas.

Any thoughts on lighting the spray room, I know you're supposed to use explosion proof fixtures, but I don't have any and it looks like they are really expensive, Would outdoor halogen lights work, they have a gasket seal around them?

In lieu of a larger finishing room, can you incorporate a separate room for staging items that are finished? Maybe on the other side of the pits so you don't have to cover more? Or elongate the room pushing the shop further down the building? My future finishing room is 12 X 14, and I already know it will be too small. I'm using florescent lighting, but will only be using water based finishing products, and only wipe/brush on at that...no spraying. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Dave, if it were me and I had the available space you do, I would definitely have a separate space for dust collection and air.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    In lieu of a larger finishing room, can you incorporate a separate room for staging items that are finished? Maybe on the other side of the pits so you don't have to cover more? Or elongate the room pushing the shop further down the building? My future finishing room is 12 X 14, and I already know it will be too small. I'm using florescent lighting, but will only be using water based finishing products, and only wipe/brush on at that...no spraying. Jim.
    I wouldn't see any reason to have a place to stage items, when they are done they are out the door, or did you mean done with construction before applying finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Black View Post
    I wouldn't see any reason to have a place to stage items, when they are done they are out the door, or did you mean done with construction before applying finish.
    Yes, one spot to assemble, another to finish. Could even go back to the first room to store until ready to move out the door. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lyon View Post
    Dave, if it were me and I had the available space you do, I would definitely have a separate space for dust collection and air.
    I may place the cyclone outside the shop, I was thinking of maybe putting it by the large door so it was easy to take the full drum out to dump it.