Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Spell Humiliation?

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia

How Do You Spell Humiliation?

C-Y-N-T-H-I-A

I just knocked over my DP. Yes, that's the long and the short of it. I'm an idiot. I was trying to move it by myself......bad idea. I'm too ashamed to show you a picture yet.....and I cut my hand too. Not bad enough for stitches, just enough to hurt.

Moral of the story. If you're not capable of doing something, then DON'T DO IT.

So as soon as I get some muscle in the house to help me lift it, I'll see what the damage is...........

Since misery loves company, has anyone else ever done something so stupid in their shop? It sure would make me feel better........
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia White View Post
    C-Y-N-T-H-I-A

Since misery loves company, has anyone else ever done something so stupid in their shop? It sure would make me feel better........

Nope I don't think so Cynthia. I think you are all alone on this one.

Being home alone all day I'm always trying to move something in the shop that I should wait for help with.
    I've had a few dumb accidents but haven't knocked over my drill press yet. I did accidentally set my bandsaw on my foot while trying to put it on a mobile base if that counts
    Faith, Hope & Charity

I haven't yet......today. Glad your injuries are minor, just enough for a reminder of what not to do. More than once I've moved something by myself and luckily did no damage but still caught heck from LOML for not waiting for help. You learn from mistakes.....or most of us do. Those who make the same mistake twice usually don't have a shot at the third one.

I tipped over my empty gun safe trying to move it once

Thing must weight 800 - 1000# empty?

I was trying to do the ole Egyptian mambo with it. got some 1" cast iron pipe to use as roller. Moved it from the house out to the garage, down a 4 inch step by myself. Then I needed to get it in the back of my truck.

I forget exactly why, but I thought I needed to raise it up so I could put it on some roller or something. So I was slowly tilting it back and forth and building up a little platform under it. Well, something went wrong and BOOM it fell over and landed on some cardboard boxes and crushed them silly.

No harm done to either the safe, me, or the garage floor...

In fact, having it on its side made it a lot easier to load into the back of the pickup truck with an engine hoist and some heavy duty straps...

Next time (and I hope there is not a next time), I'm not moving it. It will be a gift to the new owners of our house and I'll get a new one at the next place...

Cynthia, take care of the hand, even if it is a minor injury.

I once carried a benchtop drill press to the second floor apartment. I know those things are heavy.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

Those things are top heavy! I came close a time or two, but never won the prize. Congrats Cynthia! BTW, take care of that hand.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

I tipped over my DP once too...on my head!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

I'm with Roger, not today.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Oh, I didn't think any of you had done what I did; I meant have you ever done *anything* stupid.

DP seems to work fine. I bent a couple of the handles that move the spindle up and down, but they still work fine; and I snapped off the handle (cast iron? ) that turns a bolt on the body, but I can turn that with a wrench....

I got my son to lift it onto it's new (wider) handy dandy stand with wheels! (that when I lost it). So I'll take a break, then get back to it....
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Well, I guess if you mean have we done "anything" stupid in our shops...... so far (and I'm knocking on a green block of wood as I speak (two raps with each hand to side of head) the only thing I've done to date that hurt, was I had the headstock off my Jet1442 and in a repair shop... when I put it back on the ways, I didn't remove all of my fingers from under it... wound up smashing the nail on the long finger of my right hand... eventually lost the nail.. just glad it wasn't a thumb... nothing gets in the way more than a sore thumb..

We won't count the bowl that got loose and hit me in the eye.. looked like the wife had been beating me again..

Or the day the board kicked back out of the table saw... I spoke in a high voice for a day or two
    Last edited by Chuck Ellis; 02-11-2011 at 05:49 PM.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.