Thread: New LN scrapers just arived! -Update, how to sharpen the gooseneck scrapers-

New LN scrapers just arived! -Update, how to sharpen the gooseneck scrapers-

I purchased some LN scrapers, a burnisher, and the leather wallet for the scrapers. I also purchased the Lynx scraper lot from Woodcraft too. The LN were ready to go out of the package, the Lynx's took a bit of effort to get sharpened up but works good. I use the Lynx rectangle one for scraping off glue and such, the LN I use for those stubborn areas on various pieces of wood.

The leather wallet for the scrapers was a surprise to me in how well it is made. The leather is 1/8" thick and has dividers in it so that theirs no mingling of the scrapers.

Also, on the contoured scrapers, does anyone have suggestions on how to put a 90 on the edges? I was thinking of a spindle sander with a fine grit or something.
    [SEE MY POST BELOW]

Brian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LN scrapers.jpg   LN Scrapers in pouch.jpg   Lynx scrapers.jpg  
    Last edited by Brian Altop; 02-12-2011 at 09:08 AM.
    That's not even a smile! That's just a bunch of teeth playing with my mind!

Pretty cool haul you got there. Can't help you much on sharpening the curved scrapers, I've finally just gotten to the point of being able to sharpen the flat kind...

I sent Tom at LN a old Starett scraper holder that is easily my favorite tool for evaluation. I am hoping that they put it into production as I would like to have a couple more. The one I have is the only one I have ever seen. It clamps any scraper and has a ball and socket affair that allows you to put the handle on any angle to the scraper itself. I have searched for years for another one.

I am on dialup nad running windows 98 still so I am not sure how to post a pic. That and I am computor illiterate.....

The other Larry

How to sharpen the gooseneck scrapers...

I emailed LN on how to sharpen the gooseneck scrapers and this was the reply. Seems to work well, hope it helps someone else!

Brian,

I simply put them in a vise and file the edge if it needs to be reshaped. You want to create a fair curve, do not worry about perfectly recreating the existing arc. I then polish the edge on my stones, but I use the edge of the stone so I do not gouge the surface of my flat stone. You can use David Charlesworth's ruler trick to polish the flat surface of the scraper. I have found the time savings to be great.

Cheers,

Deneb

Here is the ruler trick...

http://www.finewoodworking.com/pages/w00177.asp

Brian
    Last edited by Brian Altop; 02-12-2011 at 09:12 AM.
    That's not even a smile! That's just a bunch of teeth playing with my mind!