New LN scrapers just arived! -Update, how to sharpen the gooseneck scrapers-

Brian Altop

I purchased some LN scrapers, a burnisher, and the leather wallet for the scrapers. I also purchased the Lynx scraper lot from Woodcraft too. The LN were ready to go out of the package, the Lynx's took a bit of effort to get sharpened up but works good. I use the Lynx rectangle one for scraping off glue and such, the LN I use for those stubborn areas on various pieces of wood.

The leather wallet for the scrapers was a surprise to me in how well it is made. The leather is 1/8" thick and has dividers in it so that theirs no mingling of the scrapers.

Also, on the contoured scrapers, does anyone have suggestions on how to put a 90 on the edges? I was thinking of a spindle sander with a fine grit or something.:huh::huh:
[SEE MY POST BELOW:thumb:]

Brian

Attachments

• LN scrapers.jpg
    LN scrapers.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 27
  • LN Scrapers in pouch.jpg
    LN Scrapers in pouch.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Lynx scrapers.jpg
    Lynx scrapers.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Pretty cool haul you got there. Can't help you much on sharpening the curved scrapers, I've finally just gotten to the point of being able to sharpen the flat kind... :rolleyes:

I sent Tom at LN a old Starett scraper holder that is easily my favorite tool for evaluation. I am hoping that they put it into production as I would like to have a couple more. The one I have is the only one I have ever seen. It clamps any scraper and has a ball and socket affair that allows you to put the handle on any angle to the scraper itself. I have searched for years for another one.

I am on dialup nad running windows 98 still so I am not sure how to post a pic. That and I am computor illiterate.....

The other Larry

How to sharpen the gooseneck scrapers...

I emailed LN on how to sharpen the gooseneck scrapers and this was the reply. Seems to work well, hope it helps someone else!:thumb:

Brian,

I simply put them in a vise and file the edge if it needs to be reshaped. You want to create a fair curve, do not worry about perfectly recreating the existing arc. I then polish the edge on my stones, but I use the edge of the stone so I do not gouge the surface of my flat stone. You can use David Charlesworth's ruler trick to polish the flat surface of the scraper. I have found the time savings to be great.

Cheers,

Deneb

Here is the ruler trick...

http://www.finewoodworking.com/pages/w00177.asp

Brian

Last edited: