Talk about sticker shock!

John Pollman

I was at a Chevy dealership yesterday to take delivery of a new car for the wife. When we got there our salesman was finishing up with another customer so we wandered around the showroom for a while looking at the other models. They had a beautiful deep blue Camaro SS that we both just fell in love with. But it's got a sticker price of $37,500 which is a bit out of our price range at the moment so we kept walking around.

Not far from that Camaro and right in the front center stage window of the dealership there is a GORGEOUS Corvette ZR1. It's completely roped off with "DO NOT TOUCH" signs all over the place. I looked over this absolutely incredible piece of machinery. It was hard to keep from drooling all over the place. I was able to get close enough to the sticker to see what this little beauty was going for. Are you ready for this? I hope you're sitting down.

$124,050.00!!!

Looking at the sticker, one of the items listed in the final price is a "Gas Guzzler Tax" of $1300. I guess that if you've got the money to buy a car like that, $1300 is chump change.

Oh how I'd like to experience how the other half lives. :)

John

When I graduated from high school (1965) base price for a 'vette was $3000. 'Course I was making $1.40 an hour and saving for college, which by the way was $125.00 per semester plus books. :eek:

When I graduated from high school (1965) base price for a 'vette was $3000. 'Course I was making $1.40 an hour and saving for college, which by the way was $125.00 per semester plus books. :eek:

Hey Roger, you must've gone to one of those expensive schools. I went to City College of New York starting in 1970, and it was $56 per semester, plus books also. By then though, wages had gone up, I made $2 an hour work-study, training rats in a lab.

I was at a Chevy dealership yesterday to take delivery of a new car for the wife. When we got there our salesman was finishing up with another customer so we wandered around the showroom for a while looking at the other models. They had a beautiful deep blue Camaro SS that we both just fell in love with. But it's got a sticker price of $37,500 which is a bit out of our price range at the moment so we kept walking around.

Not far from that Camaro and right in the front center stage window of the dealership there is a GORGEOUS Corvette ZR1. It's completely roped off with "DO NOT TOUCH" signs all over the place. I looked over this absolutely incredible piece of machinery. It was hard to keep from drooling all over the place. I was able to get close enough to the sticker to see what this little beauty was going for. Are you ready for this? I hope you're sitting down.

$124,050.00!!!

Looking at the sticker, one of the items listed in the final price is a "Gas Guzzler Tax" of $1300. I guess that if you've got the money to buy a car like that, $1300 is chump change.

Oh how I'd like to experience how the other half lives. :)

John

That's incredible... my first corvette in 1965 was a used '64, convertible with a hard top, 327 engine with a Holly AFB 4 barrel, 3/4 race cam... it sounded like hell idling, but I tried it out on the way home down the 405 in L.A.... at 125 the front end was rising and I still had accelerator left... I paid $3600 for it.... in 1966 or '67 it was stolen and I replaced it with a 1965 convertible, soft top with stock 327 engine... I paid $2800 for it...
Personally I don't like the new corvettes .... they got too bulky, like a big sedan cut down, most have automatic transmissions and less room in them than my 64 or 65.... plus they're totally overpriced.

Hey Roger, you must've gone to one of those expensive schools. I went to City College of New York starting in 1970, and it was $56 per semester, plus books also. By then though, wages had gone up, I made $2 an hour work-study, training rats in a lab.

In 1969 I started college in California, after the Navy... Uncle Sam paid for me to go, cost was just the books and a small fee for the class... 'course I had a high paying job then... I worked for an airlines at about $7 per hour.

I bought a 1969 in 69. 350/350 T top for $3900.00. That was the first year I made $10,000. I thought I hit the big time. :rofl::rofl:

Young, single, foolish and making $200.00 per week. Ahhh what a life:D:D

You spoilt brats.:rofl::rofl:

My first car was a beat up Yellow 1979 Citroen 1220 cub paid equivalent of $120 US for it and only got it after my 21st birthday.:p Certainly did not look as good as the one in this picture.:rofl:Not after my friends sister had already had 3 accidents in it.:)

2gs13.jpg

Amazing price isn't it? But you were looking at a Super Car. The ZR1 is not your Daddies Corvette. ;)

6.2L LS9 638-hp supercharged V8 engine
Aluminum frame with fixed-roof structure
Visible carbon-fiber roof, rockers, splitter and painted carbon fiber
Brembo® carbon-ceramic brakes
Head-Up Display
Magnetic Selective Ride Control
ect.....

I had a sister married to a guy that made over $300,000.00 per year. Trust me, most of us are happier, healthier and more sane than they are. Yep, they divorced, she married another wealthy one, at least he has some common sense and seems human. So be careful what you wish for. The only vet that comes down my drive drives a Chevy and takes body parts off of my animals for me! :eek::rofl::rofl: (that is twice what I paid for my 40 acre farm)

when it comes to cars, Ill always regret a decision I made for a couple hundred dollars.
I purchased a 1965 mustang around 1972, a mustang that had a custom built engine, it was a street racer, dual carbs, the works. The car went off the road during a race and went into an irrigation ditch alongside the road and the owner had to have a new transmission installed.
He never was able to pay for the transmission, 352.00, and being my wifes cousin owned the transmission shop, after the marshall turned over the car to him, he knew I was looking, he sold me the car for the price of the transmission job. 352.00
The car was a beast. I loved it.
Couple years later, it was having more mechanical problems, and repairs were around 300.00. I decided to get rid of it, even though my stepfather told me to just keep it and put it in the back of his place(shop), and just leave it there because it would one day be worth alot of money being it was an original. I didnt, and sold the car as is for 50.00. Something Ive regretted for 30 something years.
Heres a pic I had laying around, thats my wife leaning against it. She must have been around 18 at the time.(we werent married yet)

Attachments

• bed 252 (Medium) (2).jpg
    bed 252 (Medium) (2).jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 44
Back in the late '70s/early '80s, I had a guitar student who drove a Vette that he bought himself with the money he got as high school graduation gifts. (He was from a wealthy family and had rich friends.)

He was your average-looking high school kid when he went into the Chevy dealer (by himself) and asked the salesman the price on the yellow Vette on the showroom floor. Salesman rolls his eyes and says "It's $11,000." (Or some number thereabouts, I don't recall the exact price.)

"Will you take $10,000 cash for it?"

"No, the price is $11,000."

So the kid pulls out his wallet and lays ten $1,000 bills on the hood of the car and repeats "Ten thousand cash?"

The salesman scoops up the bills and says "Let me go talk to my manager." The kid drove the Vette home that day. :D

He told me that he'd spent a whole day going to banks all over town buying $1,000 bills (this was back when they were available, but rare).

when it comes to cars, Ill always regret a decision I made for a couple hundred dollars.
I purchased a 1965 mustang around 1972, a mustang that had a custom built engine, it was a street racer, dual carbs, the works. The car went off the road during a race and went into an irrigation ditch alongside the road and the owner had to have a new transmission installed.
He never was able to pay for the transmission, 352.00, and being my wifes cousin owned the transmission shop, after the marshall turned over the car to him, he knew I was looking, he sold me the car for the price of the transmission job. 352.00
The car was a beast. I loved it.
Couple years later, it was having more mechanical problems, and repairs were around 300.00. I decided to get rid of it, even though my stepfather told me to just keep it and put it in the back of his place(shop), and just leave it there because it would one day be worth alot of money being it was an original. I didnt, and sold the car as is for 50.00. Something Ive regretted for 30 something years.
Heres a pic I had laying around, thats my wife leaning against it. She must have been around 18 at the time.(we werent married yet)

Of all the Mustangs, I always thought the '65 was the coolest... I'm not sure but wasn't the car McQueen drove in Bullet as '65??

The Bullitt Mustang was a 1968 Fastback. :thumb: First year they had side marker lights. (I had a '67 coupe.)

I wasn't sure, I've seen the movie about 4 times... I was living in SF bay area when they filmed it... matter of fact, one of my supervisors called in sick during the filming of the chase scene because he lived on the street they were chasing down and could look out his front window and watch the chase.

How many hub caps did the mustang loose in that chase scene?

I wasn't sure, I've seen the movie about 4 times... I was living in SF bay area when they filmed it... matter of fact, one of my supervisors called in sick during the filming of the chase scene because he lived on the street they were chasing down and could look out his front window and watch the chase.

How many hub caps did the mustang loose in that chase scene?

It was the Charger that lost the hubcaps. The Mustang had wheels, made popular by that movie. Torque Thrusts Baby!

I've had four Vettes, the most expensive was a new on I bought in 76 for $5500. I bought a new basic Ford 4X4 the same year for $4400, so it was expensive.

I'll bet the starter in that ZR1 has more power than that 76 did.....