Common prob? How did you solve it?

Julio Navarro

I was using my plunge router with a 1/4" guide bushing and a 1/4" upcut spiral bit and I noticed that even after centering the guide and tightening it it would still move and skim the bit.

I tightened and re-tightened but it kept on happening.

I tightened the guide as well as the screws that hold the guide to the router base.

The two screws that hold the plate that hold the guide don't seem hold the plate very well.

Has anyone had this problem, if so how did you solve it?

I am using a Hitachi plunge router MV12

Julio,

I've found that there is a pretty good amount in variation among manufacturers when they make bushings. I think I've wound up with three sets and only one set will fit in one of my routers, the others are slightly over sized for the hole. I think this is the the main reason Leigh sells an adapter and bushings for use with their dovetail jigs.

Julio, "IF" the Router's base is exactly centered, but the hole for the guide is a little larger than the guide bushing, then you can take one or two, (or however many is needed) layers of newspaper and lay them over the hole and then insert the guide bushing. As you tighten the bushing's nut, it will pull it into the hole exactly centered and snug. Then trim away all the excess paper. This method will keep the bushing centered even if the nut loosens slightly. It won't however keep the bushing centered around the bit IF the screws loosen that hold the "adapter bracket" in place.

Note: You can also use this method to center the baseplate and or bushing adapter on your router if it is not exactly centered from the factory, by using an INLAY BUSHING and the bushing's centering pin. Set the router upside down and loosen or remove the base plate screws and insert the inlay bushing, "Centered" in the base plate, using the method above. Then plunge the router so the centering pin is protruding up through the bushing and then start tightening the base plate mounting screws.

When you get them tightened, plunge it in and out and retighten/loosen or adjust the screws as necessary until the centering pin will go in and out of the inlay bushing without feeling ANY "catch" as the pin enters the bushing.

You will note that as you tighten the screws, some may want to pull it off center and you may have to back off of that screw slightly.

I set my routers up this way all the time and it works well. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I was using my plunge router with a 1/4" guide bushing and a 1/4" upcut spiral bit and I noticed that even after centering the guide and tightening it it would still move and skim the bit.

You're using a 1/4" bit with a 1/4" guide bushing? Something doesn't compute.

I have no experience with the M12, but on my Bosch and Dewalt they stay steady. The PC's since it is just the rings, and I tighten it with a pair of channel locks.

If your screws are coming loose, maybe loc tite?