Vases with Pyrography

I finally got my oil pens and colored pencils. I got a couple of vases that just have simple woodburned designs on them that I burned and colored with oil pencils. The first is a poplar vase with yellow roses. It is 10 1/2" across and 3 1/2" high. Finished with Satin Lacquer. The second is a cherry vase with 2 red roses placed by the LOML. It is 8 3/4" across and 3 3/4" high. Also finished with Satin lacquer. The last pic's are of my final practice pieces before I did these. A blue jay finished with colored pencils and a cardinal which is just burned with no coloring. Still have some learning to do on how the tips I purchased work but it is getting there.

Attachments

• Poplar Vase with Pyrography 1.jpg
    Poplar Vase with Pyrography 1.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Poplar Vase with Pyrography 2.jpg
    Poplar Vase with Pyrography 2.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Cherry Bowl with Pyrography 1.jpg
    Cherry Bowl with Pyrography 1.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Cherry Bowl with Pyrography 2.jpg
    Cherry Bowl with Pyrography 2.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Cherry Bowl with Pyrography 3.jpg
    Cherry Bowl with Pyrography 3.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Blue Jay Pyrography 2.jpg
    Blue Jay Pyrography 2.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Cardinal Pyrography 1.jpg
    Cardinal Pyrography 1.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 38
Thanks everyone. It has been fun. The bowls have been purchased by my two sisters. They said our mother would love them. She grew I can't tell you how many different roses as they were her favorite. So I took them and the 6 or 7 practice pieces down to the Art Gallery. She ordered 2 yellow rose vases and 3 red rose vases. While I was showing her the practice pieces she told me to drill a hole near the bottom not all the way thru and glue a dowel in there so they stand like a picture. There were several people in there and she sold the orange butterfly, the blue jay and the cardinal pieces for $30 each. I about fell over. So tonight I drilled and glued dowels in them all to take back down to the Gallery for sale. I was just going to toss them on the shelf. Oh well. Now she wants 3 cardinals and 3 blue jays just burnt no color for sale. Go figure.

Last edited:
Your learning curve is over...you have it down! How do the oil pencils hold up to the finish? Any bleeding or running?

Your learning curve is over...you have it down! How do the oil pencils hold up to the finish? Any bleeding or running?

Jim they didn't run at all but I do spray a very, very light coat on the first couple of shots. If your first one or two are sprayed heavy they will run as I found out on a test piece.

Thanks again to all.