Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: canon sx30is

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA

canon sx30is

I know i should of asked before i bought,but i didn't. Is this camera good for the price? I'm not good at pic taking so i thought if i got a little better than the point and shoot that i had ? After getting it home i hope i can figure it out. I also just ordered a photo tent so i'm hoping my pics will look a little more professional. I might have a bunch of questions to as as i try to learn this thing.
    Steve

Stephen, that should work for you just fine. It has very good resolution and image stabilization. I have used alot of different cameras. I think you will like this one. Just read through the manual and get to know it's features. The most important thing you will want to learn about with digital cameras is color balance. Setting it up for the proper white balance is important to having your final outcome be what you want it to be. Get yourself a simple 18% "gray" card at any camera store and use it. It's all in the manual.

Have fun with it and shoot, shoot,shoot.
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    What Tom said +1.

I'd like to show you this article. It's the first 4 (out of 10) simple ways to improve your photography. This is my philosophy.

Knowing the camera and what it's capable of, is first. Start using a tripod if you don't already. Even a little one like this beats none.

Can't wait to see some photos!
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

That should be a very nice camera actually. With the size of the lens it has it's actually going to be great little light collector.

I've got a little sx200is and it really does quite a good job.

Thanks all. cynthia i do have a small tripod and like i said i just ordered a tent, so ounce i learn the camera i SHOULD be ok. Brent i looked at a few slim cameras just wanted something with a little weight.Don't know why just always wanted one.

Congrats, Steve. I think that'll be a great camera. It looks very versatile and should take great product shots with a tent. I'll second the suggestion to study the white balance settings and play around with them when you get the tent. I'll improve things right off the bat.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Bellinger View Post
    Thanks all. cynthia i do have a small tripod and like i said i just ordered a tent, so ounce i learn the camera i SHOULD be ok. Brent i looked at a few slim cameras just wanted something with a little weight.Don't know why just always wanted one.
    The photo joe bug can be quite as addicting as the woodworking/turning bug...

I know why you wanted that camera. I was recently bit by the same bug!!!

+1000 on what Cynthia said. I'm not much of an artist and have always lamented how my photos just don't look good, no matter what camera I use. But I've been researching composition and other artistic subject and am trying to develop my 'eye' for composition. It requires taking lots of pictures and really looking at what you have done.

FWIW, I've recently purchased LightRoom (a software package) and I find it to be a pretty useful way of analyzing and working with my pictures.

The link Cynthia provided is also a pretty good resource for enhancing your photography skills...

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    The photo joe bug can be quite as addicting as the woodworking/turning bug...

I know why you wanted that camera. I was recently bit by the same bug!!!

+1000 on what Cynthia said. I'm not much of an artist and have always lamented how my photos just don't look good, no matter what camera I use. But I've been researching composition and other artistic subject and am trying to develop my 'eye' for composition. It requires taking lots of pictures and really looking at what you have done.

FWIW, I've recently purchased LightRoom (a software package) and I find it to be a pretty useful way of analyzing and working with my pictures.

The link Cynthia provided is also a pretty good resource for enhancing your photography skills...
    Thanks Brent, yeah, that website is very good. I read their stuff all the time. One thing I'd also suggest to Stephen is to go to etsy and look up something, anything, like "wood bowls" or "jewelry" and look at the photos of the "still life" and just see what you think looks good, and why, and see what you think looks bad, and why.....that will give you a lot of *visual* insight into what makes a good photo.........enjoy the camera.....post some pics!!!
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

yep i've got a lot of studying to do,but am looking foward to it. As far as the links thanks Cynthia, i have looked at them a little and added them to my favorites. As far as the white balance settings they will be one of the first things on my list to get figure out.Tom i'm gonna take your word on the gray card and stop and get me one.

I think photo addicts could argue long and hard about what is the "most" important feature of a digi cam. Even though I started photography professionally in 1953 I'm still pretty much a newbie with this digital stuff.
    I made a big misteak with my last purchase. I was so enamoured with all the features of the Olympus SP800UZ I just had to have it. Big disappointment. With this experience, I would say the most important feature would be simply being able to hold the camera. My Oly is simply not hand or finger friendly. Second, I (that's me) want an eye level view finder. This doesn't have one.
    Lesson learned: never buy a camera without holding it and doing, at least, dry shots. I ordered online and denied myself that opportunity.
    At the other end, my son has a Nikon that is only slightly smaller than my pick up truck but weighs about the same. When he goes interesting places with the family, it stays home and he shoots his wife's P&S.
    Hold it, try it. If it doesn't shout that it is for you, it isn't.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire