Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Hardest Project

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia

Your Hardest Project

What's the hardest woodworking project you've ever made or done, and why?

Pics would be great if available....
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

So far my seven drawer dresser. Sorry no pics yet as I want to show it finished.

Why?. I had to redo the sides once, the top frame twice, and 3 drawer fronts another time. If I hadn't messed it up I could have two of them by now.

Now the making is done and I'm waiting to be in the right frame of mind to apply the finish.
    I fear messing it up again, and after so much struggle it would be a disaster.

To be honest there have been times when I have been tempted to take a sledge hammer and reduce it to splinters. But I told it, you aren't going win... you are not going to beat me!
    Best regards,

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    These Chairs

Chairs are one of the hardest pieces top make but I compounded the problem when I designed the arch in the head rests. I had a tough time cutting curved tenions. I won't be duplication these chairs.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Inside the Beltway
    My hardest project is always the next one I'm going to do. When I look back on the ones I've already done, they always seem easy, because I've already solved all those problems. But the problems I'll face on the next one still aren't solved...

Lakeport NY and/or the nearest hotel
    I'd have to say my Shop.

Central NY State
    Windsor chairs. Not yet completed on my own, and currently a WIP.

I guess the hardest project I've completed is an ultralight canoe.

My first veneer job! Here is a link to the thread I used 24 sheets of veneer and only had a few that were in sequence. Made me real nervous since the veneer alone was $11,000. This was also the first time I ever did anything with a vacum bag. It also brought me into the spinny world with four columns I needed to turn on the lathe. My first attempt at that also.

GTA Ontario Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    To be honest there have been times when I have been tempted to take a sledge hammer and reduce it to splinters. But I told it, you aren't going win... you are not going to beat me!

Thats it Toni.

Alan i am going to go back over that thread. Boy the mind is going when you cannot remeber seeing something like that. Yet i commented. Scary stuff very nice project though.

My hardest project was my shop. Not for any other reason than all the uphill battles i had surrounding it. Now its all plain sailing.
    Last edited by Rob Keeble; 02-13-2011 at 09:16 PM.

Indianapolis area
    My hardest project is the one I'm currently doing what ever it may be If I don't consider it this way I make silly/stupid mistakes that often prove to be costly and embarrassing (if anyone knows of them).

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

new york city burbs
    I like to challenge myself with each project.

Maintaining my equipment and trying to keep things running smoothly is by far the hardest thing I have to do.