Your Hardest Project

So far my seven drawer dresser. Sorry no pics yet as I want to show it finished.

Why?. I had to redo the sides once, the top frame twice, and 3 drawer fronts another time. If I hadn't messed it up I could have two of them by now.

Now the making is done and I'm waiting to be in the right frame of mind to apply the finish.
I fear messing it up again, and after so much struggle it would be a disaster.

To be honest there have been times when I have been tempted to take a sledge hammer and reduce it to splinters. But I told it, you aren't going win... you are not going to beat me!;);)

These Chairs
attachment.php

Chairs are one of the hardest pieces top make but I compounded the problem when I designed the arch in the head rests. I had a tough time cutting curved tenions. I won't be duplication these chairs.

My hardest project is always the next one I'm going to do. When I look back on the ones I've already done, they always seem easy, because I've already solved all those problems. But the problems I'll face on the next one still aren't solved... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

My first veneer job! Here is a link to the threadhttp://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13315 I used 24 sheets of veneer and only had a few that were in sequence. Made me real nervous since the veneer alone was $11,000.:eek: This was also the first time I ever did anything with a vacum bag. It also brought me into the spinny world with four columns I needed to turn on the lathe. My first attempt at that also.

To be honest there have been times when I have been tempted to take a sledge hammer and reduce it to splinters. But I told it, you aren't going win... you are not going to beat me!;);)

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Thats it Toni.:D

Alan i am going to go back over that thread. Boy the mind is going when you cannot remeber seeing something like that. Yet i commented. Scary stuff very nice project though.

My hardest project was my shop. Not for any other reason than all the uphill battles i had surrounding it. Now its all plain sailing.

Last edited:
My hardest project is the one I'm currently doing what ever it may be If I don't consider it this way I make silly/stupid mistakes that often prove to be costly and embarrassing (if anyone knows of them).

My hardest project is always the next one I'm going to do. When I look back on the ones I've already done, they always seem easy, because I've already solved all those problems. But the problems I'll face on the next one still aren't solved... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

That sums it up pretty well. Some time I agonize on how to make an unusual joint or part. After I figure it out it's like a head slap. Easier than I thought.
Probably my hardest so far was the secretary desk I made. Pics are around here somewhere. I just gotta look for them.

An Eastern Maple rocking chair that I made in High school I hand carved the seat and designed and made the entire thing and finished it in a tounge oil. It was beautiful and sorry no pictures. I gave to my GF at the time. Oh yea this also falls into one of those most stupid things I have done catagory. :doh:

That sums it up pretty well. Some time I agonize on how to make an unusual joint or part. After I figure it out it's like a head slap. Easier than I thought.

I usually analyze things to death. Like you Bob, after it's done I usually look back and think it was easier than I thought it would be.

I guess the hardest thing I've built to date has been my house.

for me, my hardest project would have to be what i call "the plant stand from the place that mark twain says that you go to for the company" (playing it safe on that one:rolleyes:). it started out as a very evil thought plan, that made it onto paper. then i was tempted into building it (not realizing how much fun it would be, fitting out 50 half laps:thud:). the first time i fitted it together was fun, i couldn't get to it for a week, and we had a real stretch of humid weather:eek:, and nothing fit. every half lap had swollen a bit, and by the time i had finished cussin a blue streak at it, i decided to rebuild the parts i had broken, and try agan. this time i cut them a hair oversize, and by the time i had finished them (such faith in me i have:rofl:), it all came together nicely. it now resides in a coworker's mom's house in michigan, where it fits in quite nicely.

Attachments

• plant stand2.JPG
    plant stand2.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 22
I hadn't seen that thread before alan. Those cabinets are amazing.

As for the hardest, I am still learning on every project. I try to make each one harder as I go. The hardest one/thing I learned the most on was my very first project though, it got me hooked. I made a morris chair out of cypress fence boards. It was finished with epifanes marine spar varnish and has a sumbrella cushion from target. It still looks like new on my back porch in direct sun a few years later. There's some pics somewhere in flatwork of it.

Probably a pair of these end grain cutting boards, just because of the accuracy needed:

attachment.php

I'm a turner. Accuracy is for flat guys. :p

Not my prettiest piece, but turning-wise, it was probably this one:

attachment.php

attachment.php

That bowl was a combination of hard wood, pucker-inducing voids and tons of hand sanding on the inside.

Attachments

• Donna's Board 1 - 800LR.jpg
    Donna's Board 1 - 800LR.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Bowl 058 - 06 800.jpg
    Bowl 058 - 06 800.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Ash Root Ball Bowl 2 - 01 800.jpg
    Ash Root Ball Bowl 2 - 01 800.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 50