Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fastest Box Joint Jig in the west...

Fastest Box Joint Jig in the west...

Well, only the making part, I'm sure they all take about the same amount of time to use...

Made a piece of wood 3/8" thick, mounted up 3/8" worth of dado blade in the table saw.

Took a piece of scrap ply, drilled a couple of holes in it and mounted it to my Incra 1000se. Raised the blade to 3/4" about the table and made the first cut. Put a chunk of the 3/8" wide wood in the cut out. Slide it over a bit and used another piece of 3/8" wide wood to get the rough distance to the blade. Made a test cut, needed tightening up a bit, so loosened the bolts I mounted it to the fence with a bit and badabingbadaboom, There you have it, a box joint jig!

(Oh and I messed up a bit when I made it. This one goes from right to left when using, as opposed to the traditional left to right... )

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FWW-4111.jpg   FWW-4110.jpg   FWW-4112.jpg   FWW-4109.jpg  

Cool jig Brent, so I guess that's part of the things needed to make your shop cabinets and finish your shop reorganization.

I've bookmarked it, and put together with others that I plan to make when I get a TS, (not in the near future I'm afraid to say).
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Yeah, I finally picked what kind of joint I wanted to use for the drawers in the shop cabinets.

Considered plain old butt joints, butt joints with pocket screws, Locking rabbets, lock miters, sliding dovetails, half blind dovetails on a machine. But I kept coming back to the venerable box joint...

It's quick, and easy, and strong, and I can crank a lot of them out in a hurry...

Very cool Brent. I do the same thing with a sacrificial fence clamped to one of my sleds. I have been fascinated in the past with complex box-joint jigs but thankfully, never coughed up the dough for one ;-)
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Looks good rent. Mine is similar but I just clamp it to my Dado sled.
    "Thereís a lot of work being done today that doesnít have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesnít have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Very cool Brent this is the joint my son learnt to make at school this past week. Only he used the router.

Which brings up a point which is better blades on ts or router.

I like the idea of brents one but its just because i like the ts.

Would think using blades one can hog out a 3/4 thick finger in one go which is not neccessary gonna happen on the router table.

Can anyone comment on this.
    cheers

Most dado sets have a bit of a scoring action on the outer blades to reduce chipout. That's probably great for a dado, but it does leave little 'marks' just a fraction deeper on the corners.

Dan Noren recently got a set of special TS blades that are geared for making box joints for valentines day recently

So for fine work, a router, or specialty saw blades would give you a truly flat bottom. For knocking out a bunch of shop cabinets, or more utilitarian use, a TS with a dado blade would be more than sufficient.

If you get a flat top grind blade (designated as FTG) you will get a square kerf. Most blades are alternate top bevel (ATB) and give a kerf that has a protrusion in the center. You can also stack FTG blades for a wider kerf, just make sure the tooth geometry doesn't interfere between the two blades shim with paper or cardboard and tighten down well.

As far as the jig goes....fewer moving parts, fewer chances for mistakes. I drilled a hole in the miter gauge so I could dowel each jig to be in the same place, then make the jig for each width I want to cut.

Thats the way I do mine on my slider. I do all four parts at one time by shifting two 1 pin. I use a dab of hot melt glue to make sure they don't shift. When done you just peel the glue off and they are in nice sets ready for assembly.

I like box joints. They have a better gluing surface than dovetails, and in my humble opinion are a better choice for drawers that will see heavy use. Not as sexy, but stout. My bench has poplar drawer boxes, and some have well over 100#s in them[clamps] and have survived many years of abuse with none broken. I intended to pin them but never got to it.

My favorite is the pin and cresent joint. In examining old furniture I have never seen one that has failed.
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 02-18-2011 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    ...My favorite is the pin and cresent joint. In examining old furniture I have never seen one that has failed.
    I had to go look that type of joint up. Very cool.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com