Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's Cooking? Butt Chisel Chili

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia

What's Cooking? Butt Chisel Chili

Frequently on the weekends I see different dishes people are making, so here's what we're having at my house tonight:

Cynthia's Butt Chisel Chili

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chilisimmer.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	54040

Some of the ingredients

Name:	chiliseasonings.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	54041

Name:	chiliingredients.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	54042

Not only is it delicious and nutritious, but it is also a well-documented proven remedy for furuncles, athlete's foot, mange, dropsy, Spotted Elm Midnight Fever, softening of the brain, Swamp Sickness, warts, worms, hives, and hangovers. It's also known as Pygmy Albino Snow Snake Antivenom. Participants in a double-blind study at the Pacific Fruit Fly University and Bait Shop found that after eating two bowls of this chili they had improved skills in wood carving, wood burning, and could hand cut dovetails twice as fast and with better accuracy. It does some other stuff I can't mention because of the CoC.

Use the leftovers to clean your shop floor, clear sawdust from your lungs, sharpen your chisels, and lubricate your air tools. A bowl of it will heat your shop, act as an insecticide, and it's very efficient in your parts' washer. It's a top-notch stain for fine furniture projects, can be used as fuel for your tractor, and removes rust. Better than concrete for firming up fence post holes, clears clogged drains, and rejuvenates your septic field.

Who could ask for more?

Recipe available upon request.....
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

You r funny.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

Sounds like everything i have. Whip me up a bowl of that thar chili

I hate beans in chili....just meat for me!!
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Making some Chili of my own tonight, but not nearly as creatively named!

Sounds good Cynthia. Seems the stuff tastes better every time you reheat it. I make mine in a 2 gallon slow cooker and freeze the left overs to reheat later. However, there are occasions when I shouldn't be in a closed room.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Newby View Post
    Sounds good Cynthia. Seems the stuff tastes better every time you reheat it. I make mine in a 2 gallon slow cooker and freeze the left overs to reheat later. However, there are occasions when I shouldn't be in a closed room.
    absolutely better each day, and yes, i freeze mine too. That's why I make such a big thing of it--8 quart pot. And no beans Bob.
    AKA The Rookie

When I'm in the mood for Big Boy Chili, I cut up the chuck roast into 1/4" pieces and have my own 'special' recipe. No beans in that recipe. Sometimes served with cornbread, sometimes with tortilla chips to scoop it up...

Tonight, it's Cooks illustrated 'Simple Beef Chili'.

It's quick, easy, and makes great leftovers, and it's not so much that I can't get through it on Sunday for dinner and lunch the rest of the week...

We have a real problem with filling up the freezer with leftovers that don't get eaten, so we try and do smaller batches that get eaten quickly...

And it's got beans! I love beans!

How you gonna get any heat out that... where's the jalapeno's, habaneros and chipotle chili's??????????????????? With those chili's you won't need to waste electricity or gas to cook the chili and plus if you try to freeze it will just defrost the freezer.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    How you gonna get any heat out that... where's the jalapeno's, habaneros and chipotle chili's??????????????????? With those chili's you won't need to waste electricity or gas to cook the chili and plus if you try to freeze it will just defrost the freezer.
    Ah, don't get me started on chile.

Keep in mind I grew up in Northern NM, which has its own approach to chile. Compared to a lot of other peppers, jalapenos aren't that high on the scale, but to me, they are all burn and little to no flavor. Chipotles (roasted jalapenos) are OK, since the roasting adds a bit of flavor and mellows the burn a bit. Hananeros are good for stripping paint and clearing stopped drains, but here again, not much in the way of flavor in my jaded opinion. Still haven't found anything that compares to fresh-roasted NM green chile for flavor. Same with the dried red NM chile powder. Both the red and green come in varying degrees of hotness, but even the hottest varieties have good flavor, IMHO. (My preference is the middle of the pack, which is pretty mild to a lot of chile aficionados.) I've never been a fan of all the super-hot "Billy Bob's Butt-Burnin' Buckets o' Fire from Hades" sauces you see in the stores. Some people do get a kick out of the endorphin rush those sauces give, but not me.

I'm sure there will be some Southerners come along shortly to tell me how wrong I am.

[Puts on his flameproof suit for cover until Michael James comes along to back me up.]
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Ah, don't get me started on chile.

Keep in mind I grew up in Northern NM, which has its own approach to chile. Compared to a lot of other peppers, jalapenos aren't that high on the scale, but to me, they are all burn and little to no flavor. Chipotles (roasted jalapenos) are OK, since the roasting adds a bit of flavor and mellows the burn a bit. Hananeros are good for stripping paint and clearing stopped drains, but here again, not much in the way of flavor in my jaded opinion. Still haven't found anything that compares to fresh-roasted NM green chile for flavor. Same with the dried red NM chile powder. Both the red and green come in varying degrees of hotness, but even the hottest varieties have good flavor, IMHO. (My preference is the middle of the pack, which is pretty mild to a lot of chile aficionados.) I've never been a fan of all the super-hot "Billy Bob's Butt-Burnin' Buckets o' Fire from Hades" sauces you see in the stores. Some people do get a kick out of the endorphin rush those sauces give, but not me.

I'm sure there will be some Southerners come along shortly to tell me how wrong I am.

[Puts on his flameproof suit for cover until Michael James comes along to back me up.]
    Vaughn, where can you buy the NM chile powder? I saw some recipes that called for it, but I've never seen it.....
    AKA The Rookie