Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not Much But Its What I Got...

Not Much But Its What I Got...

Heres the workshop. Just starting to get into the wood working. Grew up helping my dad and Grandfather but that was years ago. Just finished my first workbench. Its not much but it will do for now. Also included a picture of the whole area. 25'x12'. Only got about 22' to work with because according to the SWMBO, we can not get rid of all that stuff.

Matt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo-6.JPG   photo-7.JPG   photo-8.JPG  

Nice and sturdy and looks like a great start!

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    That looks great, Matt. Good for you.
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

We all need to start somewhere! Back in '95 half of my "shop" consisted of a 20yr old tablesaw and a rough (rough!) table in the corner of my 1 car garage in Edmonton... (firing up the saw at -30 makes a unique scream...)
    The other half was a 8x10'ish space in the basement where I could do some bench work and so on...

But I am mystified by the chain link fencing... Is this rental space or is that in your basement or garage?
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

But I am mystified by the chain link fencing... Is this rental space or is that in your basement or garage?
    It is an apartment. The chain link fence divides the next garage. Right now its empty, but when someone gets I may hang some plastic against the fence to make a barrier for the dust. I don't want to get dust one anyone else's stuff.

Matt

Looks like you're on your way, Matt. A lot of good work has come out of smaller shops. The bench looks better than any I've got. May it server you well. (And I think the plastic to contain the dust would be a good idea.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

My next project is to figure something out to do with the TS its a small contractor saw due to space saving. Was thinking something on wheels that would make the table larger. Maybe also integrate a router table into the same thing. Anyone have any ideas or plans?

Matt

Hopefully I will also need to build a bench for a lathe soon

Matt

Matt I echo what Art said. We all start somewhere and you made a great looking bench.

Dont mind me but i am a security nut having lived in combat zones for most my life so you might think about how easy it is for that chain link to be well hacked. Your tools would bring a fair dollar at the local hock shop so when you do cover up the middle think about that. I dunno how good your budget is but a few sheets of drywall could perhaps just prevent the looki loos from even seeing what you have before it gets rented. Depends how long you there for.

As to the table saw there are loads of builds of similar things here that you want to do.

Alan has just made a unit like you describe

Check this thread out he actually cut down a rgid table saw to make his unit.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Matt I echo what Art said. We all start somewhere and you made a great looking bench.

Dont mind me but i am a security nut having lived in combat zones for most my life so you might think about how easy it is for that chain link to be well hacked. Your tools would bring a fair dollar at the local hock shop so when you do cover up the middle think about that. I dunno how good your budget is but a few sheets of drywall could perhaps just prevent the looki loos from even seeing what you have before it gets rented. Depends how long you there for.

As to the table saw there are loads of builds of similar things here that you want to do.

Alan has just made a unit like you describe

Check this thread out he actually cut down a rgid table saw to make his unit.
    I was thinking of something like this.
    This one

I do worry about the security a little. We have renters insurance and I have pictures and documentation of everything down there. Whats cool about our renters insurance is that they don't give you the dollar amount of what it is worth. They give you the money to buy a new one just like it. Also, my apartment is right above the garage and I can hear it open and the one beside it. Everything is replaceable down there. If they come in the apartment they better come correct.