Hey Brent

Yep! I've got to put in a new box and move it over about 12".
What class/school are to taking to learn this? Is this for an electrical license you are going for or just for your own knowledge?

I may have to do the same, it's always good to learn something new!

How would you go about 'stretching' the wires? I'm assuming that if you move the box, some of the wires would be too short, and I don't think you could run all new wires in a house, right?

I should add Steve your panel looks better than the one the kid finished up today at work. If I can I'll try and get a pic of it.

Curious... I see 14 neutrals (whites) to the bus, and 5 240v (red/blacks) but only four wires to the ground bus. is that right?

They are twisted together and put under the same lug. You can do that as long as its the same guage wire. Looks great Steve. Reminds when I was doing my apprenticeship. We were doing a service change over but didn't get a permit for it yet. While we were working here comes the electrical inspector walking in since he saw our van out front and to top it off he was the chief inspector. He saw how I was cutting in the new panel and passed it on the spot. T answer the question about moving the box and making the wires longer you can use the old panel as a j-box or install a new one some where thats accessible.

Here is my board stretcher! I think it might work for wires too!:dunno::rofl::rofl::rofl:
(for some reason some woods are really hard to stretch like this Jatoba, couldn't get the full 1/4" I needed!):D

I will be re-doing (notice I didn't say remodeling) the basement since the previous 'remodel' caused more damage than good, so yes, I will be rewiring the whole house. Once I get the sheetrock off the walls downstairs it will go fairly easily since most the wires come from the basement straight up into the respective outlets and such in the rooms above. Not too much runs through the walls from room to room upstairs.

Maybe you could come over and give a hand Steve! (I'm only 10 min away right?):rofl::rofl:

Attachments

• Board Stretcher1.jpg
    Board Stretcher1.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Boardstretcher 2.jpg
    Boardstretcher 2.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Steve,

I was under the impression that putting a tight bend in a wire increased the resistance of the wire. I have seen electricians use a screwdriver for a real tight bend, their finger, or a piece of 1/2 pvc pipe. Don't know if it really makes a difference but wondered if there was a particular radius to put the bend at to avoid added resistance in the wire.:dunno::dunno:

Brian

Here is my board stretcher! I think it might work for wires too!:dunno::rofl::rofl::rofl:
(for some reason some woods are really hard to stretch like this Jatoba, couldn't get the full 1/4" I needed!):D

I will be re-doing (notice I didn't say remodeling) the basement since the previous 'remodel' caused more damage than good, so yes, I will be rewiring the whole house. Once I get the sheetrock off the walls downstairs it will go fairly easily since most the wires come from the basement straight up into the respective outlets and such in the rooms above. Not too much runs through the walls from room to room upstairs.

Maybe you could come over and give a hand Steve! (I'm only 10 min away right?):rofl::rofl:
I see the problem with your board stretcher. It's a carpet stretcher not nearly strong enough to stretch a board. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Brian, local community college. Taking it for an education, and there really isn't anything else to do.

Yep, the grounds are twisted together. Makes a better looking job.

As for the radius, nice and smooth. But for some reason you can sharp bend inside the panel. Lots of strange rules

If you were grabbing the wire with a pair of pliers and trying to make a perfect 90 corner, you might actually bend so tight over the edge of the pliers to effectively make a narrow section of wire. That's the only way to affect the wire resistance.

Here's my recently wired subpanel from a licensed card carrying electrician with about 30 yrs in.

FWW_0001_1.jpg

I was pleased with his work, but I think you probably did a little neater job.

Steve,

I was under the impression that putting a tight bend in a wire increased the resistance of the wire. I have seen electricians use a screwdriver for a real tight bend, their finger, or a piece of 1/2 pvc pipe. Don't know if it really makes a difference but wondered if there was a particular radius to put the bend at to avoid added resistance in the wire.:dunno::dunno:

Brian

Brian the resistance of a length of wire is based on the cross sectional area of the wire. the formula is Rho a constant divided by cross sectional area multiplied by the length.

So unless you do something to affect the copper in the bend such that the area changes its not going to increase the resistance. But of course copper is soft so when bent very sharp this could well happen.

As far as resistance goes the bigger issue is the tightening of he screws down onto the wire when it enters the breaker.

I have already witnessed a breaker glowing like a red hot coal in a fire all from the resistivity created when the screw aint turned down hard and you have a large current passing through a joint like that. :)