Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Door hinges

Door hinges

Hi There

I normaly stalk the wood turning areas but I have a question.

I cut a door from the house into the shop/garage. I know could be a mistake with all the shavings and saw dust but it's been handy this year.
    Any way the door it self is leaning and bumps the frame when it closes. I'm sure it didn't when I first hung it. When I built it, yes not pre hung, $5 yard sale door, I noticed the doors at the big box didn't have the hinges recessed in the frame so I didn't either. When it started bumping I cut in the top hinge with no help. It appears the hinge is either very sloppy or the metel is not thick/sturdy enough to hold the door vertical. Any comments would be helpfull. Thanks

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Guy a picture would be helpful.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Guy, I'm not sure you've had a proper WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

welcom guy to the forum and swear someone left the gate open here ,, another guy from michigan yeahh,,
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I thought we reached our MDL already (Michigander Density Limit). Welcome Guy. Doors can be a bit of an art form. What did you use for a header in the frame? 4 x 6 is good, bigger is better in our flimsy California homes. Any chance your frame has canted?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

door hinges

When I look at the door in the frame while it's closed, the gap between the frame directly above the upper hinge is wider than the gap directly below the lower hinge. I'll recheck the hinge side of the frame for plumb and check again that the screws are all tight.
    I'm out of camera batteries [the tightwad in me won't buy with out a coupon] I'll get some tomorrow and try and get some pics.
    My thinking is that the door is to heavy for only three hinges but it isn't reinforced for a fourth.

Sorry Hi everybody

I'm Guy from Michigan. Way northeast of Detroit closer to Port Huron.
    Don't look to much different from my avatar just draw in a white mustache curling down.
    I am a retired electrician
    Started woodturning about 4 years ago.

Thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Bratt View Post
    When I look at the door in the frame while it's closed, the gap between the frame directly above the upper hinge is wider than the gap directly below the lower hinge. I'll recheck the hinge side of the frame for plumb and check again that the screws are all tight.
    I'm out of camera batteries [the tightwad in me won't buy with out a coupon] I'll get some tomorrow and try and get some pics.
    My thinking is that the door is to heavy for only three hinges but it isn't reinforced for a fourth.
    Guy,

Put a couple of screws in the top hinge long enough to go thru the jamb and into the stud behind it. (Deck screws will work.) You should be able to tighten those enough to close the gap between the top of the door and jamb. It should also open the gap where your door is hitting.

Ike

Hinge pics

Ok here's the top and bottom spacing. Every thing is plumb, square and tight.http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/...t/DSCF0199.jpg
    http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/...t/DSCF0200.jpg

Do as Wayne said & put a couple of screws through the top hinge into the stud.
    Are there shims between the stud & jamb at the hinge locations?