Door hinges

Guy Bratt

Hi There

I normaly stalk the wood turning areas but I have a question.

I cut a door from the house into the shop/garage. I know could be a mistake with all the shavings and saw dust but it's been handy this year.
Any way the door it self is leaning and bumps the frame when it closes. I'm sure it didn't when I first hung it. When I built it, yes not pre hung, $5 yard sale door, I noticed the doors at the big box didn't have the hinges recessed in the frame so I didn't either. When it started bumping I cut in the top hinge with no help. It appears the hinge is either very sloppy or the metel is not thick/sturdy enough to hold the door vertical.:huh::dunno::( Any comments would be helpfull. Thanks

I thought we reached our MDL already (Michigander Density Limit). Welcome Guy. Doors can be a bit of an art form. What did you use for a header in the frame? 4 x 6 is good, bigger is better in our flimsy California homes. Any chance your frame has canted?

door hinges

When I look at the door in the frame while it's closed, the gap between the frame directly above the upper hinge is wider than the gap directly below the lower hinge. I'll recheck the hinge side of the frame for plumb and check again that the screws are all tight.
I'm out of camera batteries [the tightwad in me won't buy with out a coupon] I'll get some tomorrow and try and get some pics.
My thinking is that the door is to heavy for only three hinges but it isn't reinforced for a fourth.

Sorry Hi everybody

I'm Guy from Michigan.:wave: Way northeast of Detroit closer to Port Huron.
Don't look to much different from my avatar just draw in a white mustache curling down.
I am a retired electrician
Started woodturning about 4 years ago.

Thanks for the help

When I look at the door in the frame while it's closed, the gap between the frame directly above the upper hinge is wider than the gap directly below the lower hinge. I'll recheck the hinge side of the frame for plumb and check again that the screws are all tight.
I'm out of camera batteries [the tightwad in me won't buy with out a coupon] I'll get some tomorrow and try and get some pics.
My thinking is that the door is to heavy for only three hinges but it isn't reinforced for a fourth.

Guy,

Put a couple of screws in the top hinge long enough to go thru the jamb and into the stud behind it. (Deck screws will work.;)) You should be able to tighten those enough to close the gap between the top of the door and jamb. It should also open the gap where your door is hitting.

Ike

Hinges

Guy I dont know if you have solved you problem yet but i would try to bend the knuckle on the door side leaf. 1st reomove the pin then using a crescent wrench you can bend each knuckle slightly toward the strike side of the door. When you replace the pin this will lift or pull the door away from the strike side jamb and should eliminate the binding.