Mission Coffee Table

Its been a long time coming. For the past year or more I haven't had much time for a bit of shop work.

This mission style coffee table was started back in May/June of last year. Weather and work has played a large part in this table being finished as it bowed after I glued up the top.Even though the timber was dry and had been for years it soaked up enough moisture due to an extended rainy period last winter to make the top bow. It hasn't been until a couple of weeks ago that I was convinced it has settled back as much as it was going to.

The top is made from a small slab of Matai, and sawn into boards 125mm wide by 35mm thick. The underside of the table(frame) is all made from recycled rough sawn 100 x 50 mm Rimu.

The top is coated with 4 coats of Matt finish poly and all the framing is simply oiled. Heart Rimu is extremely hard and sands to a fine finish very well. A clear polishing oil is used and this makes the color and texture of the timber darken and pop.

As you can see from the photos depending on the direction of light the table changes color. :thumb:

Attachments

• DSCF6268.JPG
    DSCF6268.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCF6269.JPG
    DSCF6269.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCF6274.JPG
    DSCF6274.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCF6275.JPG
    DSCF6275.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCF6277.JPG
    DSCF6277.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 61
Thanks Don. It would have been nice if I had had sufficient timber in the slab to color and pattern match the top a little better. Unfortunately the slab was quite small so there wasnt a lot of "meat" in the center to work with. I'm pleased with the color though. I was worried it would be too dark.

Looking good. I think your coloring came out fine. A nice solid looking piece which is a good appearance for a coffee table. It kind of anchors the room for me.

Ralph,

Mission accomplished! Nice looking tables. My wife and I have been to NZ a couple times visiting friends and I had a chance to work with Rimu while I was there last time. A hard wood indeed! You did a great job on the table! Enjoy it! Thanks for showing it off for us.