Man, I can't believe it!

Greg Ladd

Hello everyone,

I am currently really, really bummed.

I had gotten a lead on a Northfield 16 HD jointer that might be for sale in late December. I contacted the company that had it and was asked if I would like to make an offer.

I emailed an offer for the jointer and another tool that I knew they had. I then spoke with the gentleman that I had emailed the offer to an was told that the machinery was mine and not to worry about it being sold to anyone else.

I contacted him again today to see if we could arrange a mutually agreed upon time to pick up and pay for the machines and was told that there was a problem. He had been told that the machinery was not available and he didn't know why. He did say that he has seen the machines and they are still on-site. He is trying to find out what the real story is and is supposed to email or call me today or tomorrow.

I am sooo disappointed. I have been looking for a decent Northfield 16HD for over a year. I made an extremely fair offer and thought it was mine.

Sorry, had to vent a little.

Greg Ladd

Sorry to hear it Greg, sounds like there's a slim chance it might work out still, I hope it does. I was just offered a HUGE Crescent, but sadly I doubt I will have the room for it a few years from now.

Keep looking.

John

Oh the ups and downs of old iron. Been there and done that more than once. I stuck a deal on a jointer months ago and still trying to get it to my shop. Had deals fall through, I guess it is just part of that process. But what I have found is that there is always another one out there. The waiting is awful though!

Jeff
Who never gives up chasing old iron, just gives out a lot. ;)

Greg that sucks!

Next time around, see if there is a way you can pay even $100 to them to hold it, with money in hand, already paid, lots of people are a lot less reluctant to renege on a deal.

Like Jeff says, the waiting sucks, but there will be another one........sometime...........

Sounds like a deal where someone Higher Up in the Co. either wanted it himself or had a friend that wanted it. A friend and I had that happen on an airplane once, (at least the VP didn't get it either, because the Big boss decided to settle the controversy and just put it back into service in the Co.).

What a bummer, Greg...

I've lost a couple deals too, and it's always the same....sucks! Oh well, wait to hear what you can from the guy and then go forward.

Thanks everyone for the support.

The frustrating part about this deal is that the gentleman I was dealing with was the Procurement Manager. Theoretically, he is responsible for all equipment purchases and disbursements.

I thought I had gone high enough up the food chain. Time will tell.

At any rate, if anyone hears of a Northfield 16HD or larger for sale, outside of the usual places such as OWWM.com, Exfactory,etc., please send me a PM.

I realize that these machines are in high demand but there are often school shops and pattern shop type places that have auctions. These auctions often do not get much advertising outside of a small region. These are the types of things I am trying to find.

I am will to travel a considerable distance.

Thanks again,
Greg

Everyone,

Thanks for the support. I was able to contact the person who actually ended up buying the jointer that I had been promised.

He purchased the machine for his son but was not sure if he still wanted it or not. I made him and offer and he said he will let me know whether or not his son wants to keep it. I got the impression that his son is not currently a woodworker. It may still work out in my favor; time will tell.

There will be others that show up.

Doug, I have talked to Fred who has the machine on WoodWeb. It is a very nice machine, but unfortunately with a child in college, it probably wouldn't be wise to spend that much money right now. Plus the fact that it is a 3 phase jointer that I couldn't run without a phase converter or a new motor means even more cash out of pocket. The one that got away would have been less that $2000 with the deal that was accepted.

Thanks again and please let me know if anyone knows of any others out there.

Greg

Last edited:
Latest follow up...

The gentleman that purchased "my" jointer has decided to keep the machine. He made the same decision I would have made if I had been in his postion..good for him but not so fortunate for me.

Oh well...thought some of you might like to know how the fiasco turned out.

Greg