Dad's Winter Shop

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
While down at my parents place this past week, I got some shots of Dad's winter shop. The place they bought has a small building at the end of the car port that housed the washer/dryer, about 10' X 12'. Last year Dad gutted it, re-plumbed, re-wired, and re-arranged the whole thing. He's got mostly hand tools and a chop saw and does most work outside. All of the cabinets/doors he built himself using his skil saw (no table saw), router, and chop saw.
attachment.php

attachment.php

For extra storage, he poured concrete to fill in some gaps under the porch and built large bins on rollers that can be pulled out for easy access.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20110212_105439 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20110212_105439 (Medium).jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_20110212_105357 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20110212_105357 (Medium).jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_20110212_105513 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20110212_105513 (Medium).jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_20110212_105520 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20110212_105520 (Medium).jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 382
It's a park model mobile home, single bedroom, bath, kitchen, and large living room with pull out sleeper.

They've got a large canopy/car port. The deck is about 8' wide and runs about 2/3rds of the home. The shop is part of the car port.

Very clever. Looks like it originally was a camper trailer.

so... it Is a camper trailer... that stays put (normally)

Thanks Darren for sharing that info and the pics. This is a cool idea.
Is the place your Dad has his unit in a secure park or on stand alone property.
Is the kind of place one could retire to permanently?
I gotta tell you Americans are a special breed, I never cease to be impressed by the amount of ingenuity both your Dads and the company you pointed us to. I actually wrote away to them for a brochure and price list:thumb:

Rob, they are in a RV park for 55 or older folks. They are directly across from the management office and have friends that live there year round. The place could be used year round, but they typically come back here for the summer months.

Darren Wright said:
Technically yes, but it's really more like a single wide mobile home with two bedrooms lopped off. They remove the hitch and wheels. It also has skirting around it like a mobile home.

Like these: http://www.sunlakelivingsystems.com/

Hm ok they assemble on site, so technically it is a park model, however it is more of a modular. Interesting. I'm going to be a mobile RVer when the time comes, but that is a very nice unit & concept.

So where did the washer/dryer go?

Last edited: