Laminate floor cutting jig.

John Pollman

Wow how cool. A forum just for specialty jigs and such. Here are some pictures of a jig that I made up to cut laminate flooring. This was a big job and I installed about 2K square feet of the stuff and I didn't want to have to mark every piece and use a square to draw a line on every piece and then have to cut it squarely with the circular saw. I just took some scrap particle board I had laying around and got to work. This is what I came up with....

jig1.jpg

jig2.jpg

jig3.jpg

Just thought I'd share it with the rest of you in case any of you are considering doing a large laminate flooring project.

John

That's brilliant, John. Simple, cheap, and effective. I'm going to make sure my sis and BIL see this thread, since they're getting ready to install a bunch of flooring.

John, I made something very similar, except I used a 2x12 -12' so I could cut vinyl siding, and soffit material. The jig for the circular saw on that 2x10 looks very close to yours.

BTW, what is that white stuff on the ground.....? :rolleyes: :D

Ya silly canuck, did you forget what lots of frozen rain drops looks like :p

Vaughn,
you say that your sis is getting ready to install a bunch of flooring. Well if it's the laminate type like pictured here I have one suggestion. Have them invest in a laminate cutting blade. I learned that lesson the hard way. Laminate flooring EATS even good quality carbide blades for lunch! Freud makes a blade designed just for this purpose and it works very well. I believe that it's a 54 tooth 7-1/4 inch blade and it cuts a very nice and smooth chip-free cut even if you cut on the top side. The aluminum oxide they use in the wear layer of the flooring just wreaks havoc on saw blades. It was very early on in the installation of that 2K s.f. installation job that I discovered this and bought the Freud blade it held up very well for the rest of that installation and I even used it to install another small dining room floor for another customer and it's still cutting pretty well. It's not a cheap blade. I think I paid about $75 for it but it's worth every penny! In fact that reminds me, I think I'll drop it off at the place that I bought it from to get it sharpened. Having good, sharp tools makes life so much easier. :)