On Sunday, I started to renovate the bathroom that is attached to the master bedroom in our house. The first task was to remove the old floor. That sounds easy enough, doesnít it. Well, let me tell you Ėit was not easy. The was one layer of vinyl tile over a layer of linoleum tile that had been partly removed. The bottom half layer, in particular, was both stuck hard and sticky. After about 45 minutes of scraping with various tools, trying out a hair drier, even trying some chemicals, this is how far I had advanced into the room:
Then, I remembered a gizmo that might do the job. My Festool LS 300 Linear sander (567 777) came with a scraper attachment (491 199). I was very happily surprised at what a great job it did! Here are a couple of pictures of the attachment in action:
Attachment 4972 Attachment 4973
It took only about an hour and a half to strip the rest of the old tiles (and this includes the time that it took to remove baseboards and the toilet). Here is another picture:
There was still some glue residue on parts of the floor. I cleaned this up quickly (about 10 minutes for the whole floor) with my Rotex 150 sander (571 494) in aggressive mode using both 36 and 50 grit Saphir disks. Of course this operation was dust free.
Thatís the good news; the bad news is that I clogged up 6 sandpaper sheets (at just under $1 US each) doing the job:
The underlying sandpaper is still very sound, so I tried cleaning off the gunk with a wire brush but was not successful. I can sort of pry it off but it took me about 15 minutes to clean up one sheet that way and I am not prepared to spend that much time at the task. If anyone has another suggestion for how to restore the sandpaper, please let me know.
One other Festool sander also came in handy. That is the Deltex 93 (567 738) which was really good at getting into corners and cleaning up edges: