Morse/McMaster Carr bandsaw blades

Jeff Horton

I needed a new bade and I needed it now. My last one on the saw was cracked so I ordered from McMaster Carr. I am close enough to the warehouse I get overnight delivery.

They had a very limited wood cutting selection and I just ordered a couple of 3/8" 6 tooth blades. I needed to get an order out so I just needed blades. Received them and they were Morse brand. Quickly put one on the saw and went to work on some marine plywood. First thing I noticed was they cut better than any blade I have used in the past! They cut plywood like butter. This is the first blade I have ever noticed any real difference in. All the others worked good, but these are noticeable more aggressive. Not sure why but I am impressed. Take if for what it cost you, but I am impressed!

Out of curiosity, what was the length and price on the blade? I'm wondering how the pricing compares to Ellis.

I suspect there are a number of sources for brands of bandsaw blades that woodworkers have never heard of, and they're probably sold at lower prices than the blades most folks buy.

This is for a 14" saw with a block. I THINK it is 105"? I would have to look to be sure. $13.50 plus shipping.

I have never seen Morse bandsaw blades before. But I have spent a lot of company money on Morse tools over the years. If these hold up I will be buying them from now on.

That's a bit more than the $8.50 to $9.00 Ellis charges for the same length, but still quite a bit less than a $21.00 Timber Wolf, and I'll bet it serves you well. :thumb:

The thing I like about McMaster Carr is the super fast delivery. I have called in an order at 5pm and had it the next day.
Yes, their prices are a bit high for most things, but they have EVERYTHING. I have found their prices on the plastic knobs I use for jigs, etc, cheaper than I can find at my local stores.

I also get a few other things from them I use in the shop. And like you said they have things no one else has.

I need a bunch of steel ball bearings for a porch glider I am restoring. Picked up a 100 ball bearings with the blades and some aluminum angle to make footrest brackets with too. Don't buy a lot from them but I love dealing with them.

The thing I like about McMaster Carr is the super fast delivery. I have called in an order at 5pm and had it the next day.
Yes, their prices are a bit high for most things, but they have EVERYTHING. I have found their prices on the plastic knobs I use for jigs, etc, cheaper than I can find at my local stores.

I agree...delivery from there to Florida is 3 days ....TOPS!:thumb:

Karl, I had to look for myself. :) I'm sure others will, too. McMaster-Carr's marketing database guy will probably be scratching his head trying to figure out why "tampon" is all of a sudden such popular search term. :p

Vaughn,
I may have been looking at it wrong, but the Ellis bandsaw blades I looked at all seemed to be metal cutting blades... did I miss something??

Chuck, I think Ellis does primarily cater to the metal cutting market, but if you scroll down the page to the "flexback" blades, most of those tooth configurations are suitable for wood. Some of the "bimetal" models also have tooth patterns that would work for wood.

http://www.ellissaw.com/Band-Saw-Blades/48/band-saw-blade-stock-list

I just received my order from Ellis today, and all the flexback units I got appear to be perfect for wood. The 1/4" cut great. The 1" 2tpi looks very angry, like it wants to eat some wood. :D Jim.

I'm going to have to look into getting some new blades... the one blade I have that will now fit my saw was from Grizzly with the riser kit... it cuts, but not as well or any better than Vermont blades I used to get from the BORG.... maybe I can get a "family" discount from Ellis Mfg????:D:D:D