Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disapointed in new blade

Disapointed in new blade

I had a gift certificate so I thought I would splurge on what is supposed to be a fantastic TS blade. Forrest WoodWorker ll.
    I have a Delta 714 Hybrid saw and it is tuned almost perfectly. The fence is in perfect alignment. Cutting pine the blade works as good if not better than my Freud blades. In walnut, it burns and bogs my saw down. Nothing has ever bogged down my saw before. The forrest blade throws back so much sawdust I had more dust on the saw, floor and me than I did in the DC.
    My freud blades at half the cost perform twice as well.

I don't know if I got a dud but so far I feel like I wasted $110.00 plus shipping. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone at this time.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Bob,

I haven't tried any of the forest blades yet myself. I was thinking about getting one or two later this spring.

Just FYI, this is off their site...

Forrest Saw Blade Guarantee

Purchase any Forrest saw blade or dado and use it for up to 30 days. If you are not completely satisfied for any reason, return it for a full refund. There's never any risk to you.
    You have my word on it!

Jim Forrest
    President

Let us know if you change your mind on the blade. I'm interested in how their blades handle.

Brian
    That's not even a smile! That's just a bunch of teeth playing with my mind!

How many teeth?
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Not sure what's going on with the forest, always heard they were good. If you do return it though, I've really liked my freud premier fusion thin kerf blade. Good all around blade.

Forrest Woodworker II

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    I had a gift certificate so I thought I would splurge on what is supposed to be a fantastic TS blade. Forrest WoodWorker ll.
    I have a Delta 714 Hybrid saw and it is tuned almost perfectly. The fence is in perfect alignment. Cutting pine the blade works as good if not better than my Freud blades. In walnut, it burns and bogs my saw down. Nothing has ever bogged down my saw before. The forrest blade throws back so much sawdust I had more dust on the saw, floor and me than I did in the DC.
    My freud blades at half the cost perform twice as well.

I don't know if I got a dud but so far I feel like I wasted $110.00 plus shipping. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone at this time.
    Bob,

Better call Forrest for advice. I am sure they will make it right. I have used the Forrest Woodworker II on my Mark V for over 25 years and have had great sevice. I have used their sharpening service with excellent results as well. I haven't used a jointer in over 20 years because the WWII blade cuts an edge ready to glue. Geat cuts even cross grain in oak ply. Best multipurpose blade out there IMHO. BTW I purchased the Tenyru combo blad last year (about $30 cheaper) and it is a very good blade but not as good as th Forrest.

Jack

Disapointeed in new blade

I've been using freud for over 20 yrs and have allso tried the forrest blades,an from my personal experiance,I'll take a Freud over any of em.I have freud on my tablesaw and on a cheap 12" HF slidinging compound miter saw and when I cut endgrain,the cuts are smooth as glass.Don't have anything to do with Frued except I love there tools and think that forrest is a bit over rated and way over priced.Just my for whats its worth
    May God Bless
    Ken

I would contact Forrest. I too was disappointed with my WWII. It left marks and burned where my Freud and Lietz do not. I was foolish and did not contact Forrest right away like I should have.

The 40T WWII is now just a beater as the cost to ship it and have it sharpened will nearly buy one of the blades that I prefer. I have no confidence that it will return any better off than when it was brand new but, I could be wrong. Its just not worth it to me to find out as that money can go toward blades that I have had good results with.

Many people who's opinion I respect use these blades successfully. You and I may have just gotten lemons. You should get your money's worth though so please, learn from my mistake and contact Forrest for advice or a refund right away.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-19-2011 at 06:07 AM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    How many teeth?

It's the 40 tooth Chuck.

I'll give them a call Monday. I went over their instructions and trouble shooting guide again and rechecked my saw just to be sure. Saw is dead on. Maybe it's a lemon
    Crosscuts are not great but ok but rip cuts are terrible.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

i feel for the hype on Forrest blades at a show,, the guy was cutting 8/4 cheery , ripping it.. and then stopped half way threw the cut with the blade running then took and finished the cut.. no burn i had cut a fair amount of cherry to know that cherry will burn easily.. he had the fish in his basket and i lost 110 dollars on a blade that i feel Freud can match for less..it also is a 40 tooth..i think the blades are made well but not worth the extra cost..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I recently swapped out my Forrest WWII for a 40 tooth combo blade from Infinity. I really like that new blade - so much, in fact, that I bought one of their 80 tooth blades for my SCMS.

Just for the record, the old Forrest needed sharpened, and had already been sharpened (by Forrest) once before.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!