One for Allen or Ken

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Jan and I were talking this evening about something that stirred a memory of a young girl in a coma in NY back around 1971. There was a huge legal battle about pulling the plug. Was top news for many weeks in the NYC area.

What was that girl's name?:dunno::dunno:

Hi,

I remember that mess. I felt so sorry for the "vegetable" lady. The most horrible thing I can think of would be to live as a vegetable.

If I find myself "losing it" and I stilll have enough brain power to do it, I am going to pull my own plug. I tell every one I want the plug pulled. If I am too far gone to do it myself---PLEASE, someone else pull it.

Sorry for the tirade. All I was going to say was that I remember the deal and felt terrible about it. However, I do not remember her name.

Jim

Yep - her name is very familiar to me ... she was a topic of conversation during my first couple years in high school ('76-'78), but I don't think I ever knew what she looked like until I followed the Wikipedia link yesterday.

No doubt we discussed her situation in a "Self Concepts" class I took in my sophomore year. An odd assortment of controversial subjects; we watched stuff like The Holocaust and Helter Skelter in class (I wonder what my parents would have said if they knew!) and were graded on ... how well we opened up, I guess. One of the lowest grades I ever got. :(

I think of Karen Ann every time we watch Apollo 13, because the actress who plays Jim Lovell's wife is Kathleen Quinlan.

I remembered the case but not the name.
The issue in the news was not whether the plug should be pulled but who had the legal authority to authorize or order it. The fight was between her parents and her husband.
Please let us not argue here as to whether it should have been pulled. Touchy subject.

I remembered the case but not the name.
The issue in the news was not whether the plug should be pulled but who had the legal authority to authorize or order it. The fight was between her parents and her husband.
Please let us not argue here as to whether it should have been pulled. Touchy subject.

You are thinking of the another person.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terri_Schiavo_case

Thanks to Cynthia et.al. for jarring my memory. I was working for a blood lab at the time driving around north Jersey picking up samples. I listed to news radio all day, CBS I think, and it was a major topic for many weeks. I just could not remember the name. Yep, she fooled everyone and lived on another 9 years or so after being disconnected.