Thread: This is for Vaughn

This is for Vaughn

Knowing that you couldn't see these where I'd posted them before, you asked me to post them here. So here ya go. I have always wanted a mini and when this one came up, I couldn't pass it up and seems that I couldn't leave it alone. Had to put the hollowing system on it, I had made this articulating arm hollowing system a few years ago, messed with it a while and threw it on a shelf, until now. Still needs some tweeking, but I'll get it. Going to have to design some smaller tools.
    Nice place ya got here, hope I can make myself at home.

Randy

Steve Clardy Guest
    Welcome Randy.
    I see this is your first post

Very cool Randy. I really appreciate you posting the pics here. Do feel free to make yourself at home here.

On the subject of smaller tools, I recently picked up the Don Pencil "Stinger" set of 7/16" boring bars and bits with the intent of figuring out a way to adapt them to the Monster captive handle. So far I've only played with them a bit in the new indexer handle, but it looks like a female/female adaptor with the right sizes of holes is all it will take to attach the thinner boring bars to the Monster rig.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Are they 7/16" diameter?

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Very cool Randy. I really appreciate you posting the pics here. Do feel free to make yourself at home here.

On the subject of smaller tools, I recently picked up the Don Pencil "Stinger" set of 7/16" boring bars and bits with the intent of figuring out a way to adapt them to the Monster captive handle. So far I've only played with them a bit in the new indexer handle, but it looks like a female/female adaptor with the right sizes of holes is all it will take to attach the thinner boring bars to the Monster rig.
    I'm relieved to learn ye finally got smart enough to buy a Don Pencil set. For a while I was worried about ye.
    OTOH, if you had gotten the Scoripian set it comes with a set of four adapters so other make tools can be adapted to it. Mebbe he will sell you just the adapters.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Privett View Post
    Are they 7/16" diameter?

Randy
    Yep, all three bars are just shy of 7/16" (0.436"). Seems a 1/2" hole would work, but I don't know if that'd end up being too much slop. I did try plugging the Pencil bars into the end of the 3/4" Monster straight boring bar, but it resulted in a captive rig about 20 feet long. Pretty flexy, too.

Frank, as nice (and very usable) as the Pencil tools are, I still think the Monster stuff has a better fit and finish. (Granted, I got the Pencil tools at "scratch and dent" pricing, so my set is probably not a great "fit and finish" benchmark.) Nonetheless, I'll use 'em both with a big smile on my face.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com