Options.....

And its done. :) I'm going to finish up two doors that needed to be re-made and haul it over to the finishers.

The little door is functional, just not real accessible being it is so high off of the floor.
384743_2610140904024_1570037517_32424407_2074363811_n.jpg

386193_2610151224282_1570037517_32424411_1183370873_n.jpg

I appreciate the kind words guys. As Steve said, you tend to be your own worst critic. This may sound dumb, but it is really difficult to build things for myself.

One more piece of the puzzle done

Got a bunch of the wiring done. I'm really regretting not gutting the kitchen down to the bare studs. At some point someone knocked all the plaster off the wall, left the lathe, and sheetrock'd over it. Thats semi horrible, but the walls are all planked on the inside. Cutting slots and mounting electrical boxes is a flippin' nightmare. Had I stripped the walls to nothing, I would've dropped the ceiling too while I was at it. Everything is insulated decently with cellulose, but its tough to beat spray foam. Plus the kitchen would've grown a few inches in both directions getting loosing the lathe, and the planking.

This is one of the cooler things I've built.
377061_2651681022501_1570037517_32443457_138202730_n.jpg

399876_2651686542639_1570037517_32443458_1865693090_n.jpg

I'm heading for the Keys for a few weeks after Christmas, I doubt I'm going to get any boxes hung before that. I still haven't thrown the wood floor down either, and I definitely don't want to be laying floor around box work, but I might get the uppers hung just to get something rolling. lol

I also need to get some paint, I don't want to be painting around some of this stuff. It'll be a massive hassle if I don't get it on the wall first.

Last edited:
That sink is sweet. So is the wine rack.

The window to the left of the Microwave looks a bit out of place, compared to the sink windows... Is that the fingerprints of previous house work?
What are your plans for the ceiling?

That sink is sweet. So is the wine rack.

The window to the left of the Microwave looks a bit out of place, compared to the sink windows... Is that the fingerprints of previous house work?
What are your plans for the ceiling?

The window was existing. I just re-trimmed it. (still needs backband)

The whole room is going to get a wrap of some sort of moulding. I still haven't figured out what yet. Then there will be false beams, two going each direction, making a sort of tic-tac-toe pattern on the ceiling. The first wrap of trim, the false beams, and the crown is going to be painted white, (I'm really sick of buying cherry, I've poured through about 750 bd/ft so far in this house). After the beams are up I can measure for the panels that will fill in between the beams, which are going to be the same design as the doors, but with a bit wider rails & stiles so there is a bit more field of wood between the crown and the moulding that goes around the inside of the panel. After the panels are up, I can crown it. Each of the panels will have a can light centered on it.

WOW - what a beautiful job.

That is WAY WAY beyond what I can do.

What you sell that house you will make a decent profit.

Hopefully!

I won't get the actual value out of what I've put in. I figure that ceiling alone is worth $9k, maybe even $10k, had I done it for a customer.

The market has bounced back some. I don't have it listed, but the real estate agent I bought the house from is who I'm going to list it with when I sell it. He knows it's available, but I don't want to list it until next spring. Nothing really sells here in the winter, and I don't want it to get stale so to speak. I paid a bit less than $40k for the property three and a half years ago, since then I've dumped at least $30k, but no more than $40k into it, (plus my time). This past summer the agent thought I should ask $133 for it, I'm hoping in the spring it'll pull $140k. I'd be pretty content with that. I figure if I had hired out everything I did, the kitchen alone would've been over $50,000. I'm not doing much to the 2nd floor, basically just a fresh coat of paint. I'm so demoralized from working on it, I just can't bring myself to dive into it and bring it up to the level of the main floor. There will be new carpet throughout, but that's about it.

Thank you for the kind words.

Anybody can do this stuff, but if you don't have the tooling, it just takes longer.