coffered ceiling

Guy Bratt

I have a ranch style home with 8' ceilings and rafters above. I would like to raise the ceiling 12" or so in a tray or coffered design. Two walls can be raised to do this easily. The two outside walls have a sloped roof. I'm afraid if I hang the ceiling off the rafters they will sag after a time. Can a ceiling of this type be added? If so how so?

I have a ranch style home with 8' ceilings and rafters above. I would like to raise the ceiling 12" or so in a tray or coffered design. Two walls can be raised to do this easily. The two outside walls have a sloped roof. I'm afraid if I hang the ceiling off the rafters they will sag after a time. Can a ceiling of this type be added? If so how so?
Guy sure you can. First raise your two walls. Next come in off the exterior
walls say 24" and set ether lvl's or 2X12's to span the room. now it's just a matter of filling it in. When you put your ceiling joist back i would tie them in with the rafters. I've done hundreds of these. i don't think there's been a house in the last 10 years i havn't put at least one in. I've done some crazy stuff over the years with ceilings.
Steve
PS I drew up a quick scatch hoping this will help ya a little bit. Let me know if you need anything else as i'm more than happy to help when i can.

Attachments

• 001 [800x600].jpg
    001 [800x600].jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
You don't need tall ceilings to do a coffered ceiling, in fact most of the ones I do are no more than 8 foot. I just finished one up with African Cherry that was eight foot, and it looks stunning. You just have to thin down the beams/moulding of the coffer to match what you are doing. Distance from header to window trim comes into play as well.

Post a couple of pictures of the room if you can, so we can have a peek ....

My ceilings

Thanks guy's I see how to do it now. I have a corner room with a stick built roof. I thought they were refered to as rafters. I know it's not a truss roof I have trusses in the pole barn. The roof over this corner room slopes up from the two adjacent outside walls. As for making a tray with an 8 foot ceiling I understand that process also. Actually planned that for the family room with some metel studs and 1/4" drywall.
Thanks again great help.
Guy