Double Decker Nightstand...

Art Mulder

This was a long time coming...

Back in the spring of last year I started a thread to show off a nightstand I was building. However I unexpectedly sold that article to a magazine, so I had to retract my posts.

Well, the article finally saw print in the March 2011 issue, so I can at last feel okay about posting photos.

So without further ado, here you go!
prog1.jpg prog2.jpg
from-left.jpg from-right.jpg
drawers.jpg
shelf-grain.jpg top.jpg

There is an unfortunately placed heating vent beside my side of the bed, so I needed a fairly open nightstand, to replace the closed in cabinet that was there. I also hit on the idea of adding a second shelf, so that I could elevate the clock up high, and leave the top open for magazines or books.

As well I had a couple of gorgeous African Padauk boards that I'd been holding for about two years waiting for this project. I've read that Padauk can darken over time, but after two years in my shop and these two boards were as red as the day I picked them up. So I have high hopes that this will keep it's rich colour.

Art its strange how we live with things for so long without even questioning why they made the way they are. Your design is really great make so much more sense to me than the little bed side table with cupboard and door.

I think the shelf idea is really neat.:thumb::thumb:

As to your build and that Paduk well that came out wonderful.

I saw some of this wood over at Century Mill the other day and boy it was beautiful in the raw never mind finished.

Cool piece should be a popular article well done. Which mag we gonna see it in. Canadian Home Workshop?:thumb:

As to your build and that Paduk well that came out wonderful.

I saw some of this wood over at Century Mill the other day and boy it was beautiful in the raw never mind finished.

Cool piece should be a popular article well done. Which mag we gonna see it in. Canadian Home Workshop?:thumb:

Yup, CHW is the one I write for. (well, I have also done a few bits for the LVT newsletter.) It should be on the newstands right now, March 2011 -- here is what the cover looks like.

As for your previous comment... coincidentally, Century Mill is where I bought these two padauk boards. I've never actually been to their store, but they come to the Woodshow in Toronto every year. Sometimes they just come and show stuff, and sometimes they actually bring lumber to sell.

PS: once you start working with padauk you will very quickly discover just how good your dust collection system is (or isn't).

I have a 2HP DC that does a very good job with the Jointer + Planer. I don't have an overarm collector on the TS, just one under the cabinet. I also don't typically hook up a vac to my sanders.

After building this project there was burgundy sawdust EVERYWHERE. It really drives home to you how much dust can fly in a shop. I guess I'm just used to ignoring the more regular-coloured dust that I typically found. It was kind of surprising to see all the burgundy dust.

Beautiful work Art, and well done on getting the ink. :thumb:

PS: once you start working with padauk you will very quickly discover just how good your dust collection system is (or isn't)...

One memorable project of mine was a padauk box with the sides and top coved on the tablesaw. (Major sawdust production.) I had no DC aside from a shop vac on the lower blade shroud of my Ridgid contractor saw, and a carpeted shop to boot. I had orange everywhere for months. :p