Off Center Eccentric Turning

Hi there:

I'm not a turner, but I'm fascinated by the eccentric turning. What I don't understand is, if the piece is mounted off-center, and you hold the tool in the same place, doesn't it only touch the piece in one place? because the tool isn't touching the piece continuously?

I'm wondering if some of the eccentric individuals here could explain it to me.....? :D I've tried to watch some videos on YouTube, but they're mostly in foreign languages (that I don't speak).

thanks

Cynthia, I have only turned one offcenter item. Well, if you don't move the tool then the answer to your question is YES. But, in reality you have to keep moving the tool until you make contact and keep cutting. It is a strange feeling when you turn offcenter as you also see a ghost outline of the piece.

I hope this diagram doesn't confuse the issue by starting with an oval workpiece:

EccentricTurning.gif

I'm trying to show how, if you present the cutting tool at position A you will indeed get an intermittent cut. But by the time you work down to position B you're cutting all the time and forming a cylinder (the blue circle), at least at that particular point along the length of the workpiece.

Cynthia..please start turning.:D start turning now...avoid the delay...just do it. Go buy a little Jet or Delta and make something...please???:thumb::rofl::rofl:

When you come down Cynthia I will show you some books that explain it real easy. I might have something set up to show you how it is done. It is easier than it sounds ad yes you seem to have lots of questions about lathes You can feel that pull can't you The vortex is calling you and remember we have cookies. :D

Oh boy i feel the need to get hold of glass man Brian and whisper some words in his ear. You aint never getting those bookshelves if you touch the spinny stuff. Stick with flatwork. :rofl:

Cynthia in this thread http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22621 post 6 in one of the pics you can see where I marked the the handle in black. That is the only place the tool cuts when the work is off center. It starts out being a very short cut and as material is removed it get longer.

Chuck, why does it have to be oval?

Oh boy i feel the need to get hold of glass man Brian and whisper some words in his ear. You aint never getting those bookshelves if you touch the spinny stuff. Stick with flatwork. :rofl:

No worries, Rob, I'm just asking some questions is all.....:D.....I am curious though, what if someone wanted to buy a small lathe.....not me of course....just to see if they liked turning or not.....what should they buy?.....

When you come down Cynthia I will show you some books that explain it real easy. I might have something set up to show you how it is done. It is easier than it sounds ad yes you seem to have lots of questions about lathes You can feel that pull can't you The vortex is calling you and remember we have cookies. :D

thanks Drew....we'll have a busy day!!

Cynthia, check any axe handles or hammers you have. You'll find they typically have oval handles. Just more comfortable for the hand to grip than a perfectly round one.

Hi there:

I'm not a turner, but I'm fascinated by the eccentric turning. What I don't understand is, if the piece is mounted off-center, and you hold the tool in the same place, doesn't it only touch the piece in one place? because the tool isn't touching the piece continuously?

I'm wondering if some of the eccentric individuals here could explain it to me.....? :D I've tried to watch some videos on YouTube, but they're mostly in foreign languages (that I don't speak).

thanks

Be careful... If you nibble on the bait long enough, somebody is liable to set the hook. When I say 'bait', I'm talking about the cookies.

As for your question, the tool is 'cutting and missing, cutting and missing' when turning off center. That allows you to remove wood from one side of a piece preferentially. When you change the position of the centers, you can remove wood from another area. The possibilities are nearly endless...

Chuck, why does it have to be oval?

No worries, Rob, I'm just asking some questions is all.....:D.....I am curious though, what if someone wanted to buy a small lathe.....not me of course....just to see if they liked turning or not.....what should they buy?.....

thanks Drew....we'll have a busy day!!

Look at your hammer it has an oval handle.:thumb: By turning the stock round on the centers. Than moving it to the off center you make an oval.:thumb:
Oh and anyone can turn a round handle.:chair::chair::scram:

question 2 Jet minni 1014 we'll have her turning pens in no time:thumb::rofl::rofl:

eccentric turning

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee502/Guy_Bratt/DSCF0201.jpg

Cyntia enter the vortex Cynthia enter the vortex cynthia enter the vortex

The vortex is calling

This was an early eccentric It added character to an otherwise blah puzzle.
When you get your lathe aquire a chuck then tilt a small spindle slightly between the chuck and tail stock, turn a shape then tilt in a different direction slightly and make another shape and so on and so on. When rotating the peice the stack will change.

Last edited: