Laptop for Sketchup

Clearly that's an option. Most of the time when I am drawing in SketchUp, I've got deadlines and time is money. And when you do it every day, saving a click here and a trip to a toolbar there, adds up. Keyboard shortcuts can save a lot of time.

The only keyboard key you really need for navigating around the model is Shift to get to Pan.

The Shift and Ctrl keys are modifier keys for a number of tools. If you aren't using them, you're working too hard and your missing some capabilities. Perhaps you would find it helpful to look at Quick Reference Card. And, for the Mac Users. My left hand hovers around the Shift and Ctrl keys most of the time when I am drawing so it is no big deal to hold Shift down for panning.

So you have to pick up the tool again after you've orbited the camera or zoomed. I never let go of the tool in the first place so I don't have to click again to get it.

Awesome link Dave! Thanks! Am I to take it you use SU as a full time job? Cause that would be pretty cool. :thumb:

Hi Brent,

Glad you found that link helpful. The PDF used to be included with the program but now it's just on the web. There's a link to it in the startup screen if you have that open when you start SketchUp but most folks tick the little box to make the splash screen not show and never find the link. Most people never knew the PDF was on their computer before either.

No, it's not quite a full time job (I still have my regular full time job to do Monday through Friday) but I have enough clients between the magazines and some cabinetmakers that I usually have work to do for at least one of them every day. In addition to that work, I am always teaching others to use the program either in the classroom or on line. It's pretty rare that I don't have SketchUp open at least several times during the day. At home I usually have several SketchUp sessions going at once.

Last edited:
Well, I just want to thank you then for the time you spend here. I always come away learning something new from your posts. :thumb:

I see. Having used a standard mouse with a center mouse wheel/button from the beginning with SketchUp, going to the toolbar for those tools would drive me nuts and be too slow for me. I guess it's what you get used to. I've never had any problems with precision in movement with my optical mice.

At some point in my computer upgrade cycles, I lost the ability to use the mouse wheel button to rotate and pan, so I used the keyboard shortcuts, because going to the toolbar took too long. Still, it was a royal pain to navigate around a drawing. I was pleased as punch when I recently did another upgrade (WinXP -> Win7) and my wheel button functionality was back. Yay! You can live without it, but it's not really fun. :D I'll keep using some of the keyboard shortcuts, though. The Space bar and M key especially.

Even though I get around OK in Sketchup, I still need to spend some time going through the tutorials and such to pick up more of the basics and shortcuts. Thanks for the link to the cheat sheet.

And I also thank you Dave for the time you put into educating all the rest of us. :thumb:

Gee - now you have me wondering if the WeraMouse will work well (at all) with SketchUp. (Yes, I actually placed an order on Saturday ... albeit for the differently-labeled PokerMouse 'cause I found it at a discount.)

I was only planning to use it for browsing, but it will be interesting to see what my hand looks like during/after a Sketchup session. I imagine it will be like watching my fingers tryng to play Twister. :rolleyes:

Vaughn, it's good you got the CMB back for navigating in SU with your switch to 7. The common reason folks don't have that option with the CMB is because they installed the mouse driver software--typically from Logitech. Logitech makes very nice rodents but the driver software changes the mapping of the CMB so that Orbit and Pan don't work. Usually it is possible to find a setting that works but from what I've heard it isn't always the same setting. It's easier to just skip the driver software altogether.

When I bought my MacBook Pro to have a traveling version of SU and LO, I bought the least expensive wireless mouse I could find. It is a Logitech mouse (with a lithium AA battery in it, runs forever and is light as a feather) Which I just powered up and plugged in. The disk containing the driver went into a box of epoxy-spreading tools out in the shop. They are good for making large fillets.

Kerry, I'd be interested to hear what you find. I imagine it would be somewhat of a change from a mouse. I looked at their website but couldn't find very much about it. Thinking about using one's thumb for running the ball, I can see where it could be useful for browsing the web but drawing in SketchUp may be clumsy. I guess you'll get to tell us, though. :thumb:

Wow - now that's a response!

Thanks everybody. I appreciate the huge amount of info. I'm going to look in the 15" area, seems to be lots of them to choose from, some on sale. The mouse is a problem since I'm planning on using it on my lap or in bed so I'll have to work on that. Navigating will be slow without it I know and if SU is anything like AutoCAD there's lots of navigating to be done, not to mention tool choices.
I have a neourmuscular problem that acts up from time to time and knocks me down for a day or two. I'm thinking the laptop will help me through them and learning SU will keep my mind occupied.
Thanks for the tips and links on the shortcuts. I see there is a learning curve involved here but I'm looking forward to the challenge. For now I'm going to use the free download and if I am able to master the software I'll go Pro version.
I'll probably be back with more questions.

Larry, as far as getting along with a mouse, you might consider a lap desk with enough space on the side for a mouse. I use a mouse pad on my desk because I don't like the feel of it sliding on the desk itself. The pad is only 9"x8". I'm guessing that if you had a lap desk on which to place the laptop, you'd need it to be enough wider than the computer that there'd be room for the mouse, too.

It would be a good idea to put the computer up on something that allows for some ventilation anyway. Laptops tend to get hot on the bottom and we wouldn't want it to overheat and let out the 'magic smoke'. Or worse, let the 'magic smoke' out of you! :eek:

Larry, as far as getting along with a mouse, you might consider a lap desk with enough space on the side for a mouse. I use a mouse pad on my desk because I don't like the feel of it sliding on the desk itself. The pad is only 9"x8". I'm guessing that if you had a lap desk on which to place the laptop, you'd need it to be enough wider than the computer that there'd be room for the mouse, too.

It would be a good idea to put the computer up on something that allows for some ventilation anyway. Laptops tend to get hot on the bottom and we wouldn't want it to overheat and let out the 'magic smoke'. Or worse, let the 'magic smoke' out of you! :eek:

Thanks Dave. Problem is on a bad day I have to keep it very simple, good days no problem. Now I just browse with my iPod, holding a book up to read is a challenge sometimes.
The heat problem is something I didn't know. I think I saw some bases to dissipate heat advertised. Any good?
I appreciate your help Dave but I really have to keep it simple or I won't be able to use it when I really need it. The mouse is going to be a real problem.

Hi Mack. Nice place you got here!

I think I saw some bases to dissipate heat advertised. Any good?

Larry, I have a cheap Targus "laptop cooler" and it makes a world of difference. I do most of my web browsing in bed, and I had to resort to various tricks to keep the laptop from getting hot underneath. (Tilting it, making a tunnel underneath it in the covers, etc.) With the "cooler" I don't have to worry about it anymore.

If your laptop still has all of its feet (to provide space between it and the surface underneath) something like a laptop desk or even just a piece of hardboard on your lap should be sufficient to keep things at a reasonable temperature. But if your laptop tends to run hot, one of these coolers could be just the thing.

The Targus line seems to get generally poor / so-so reviews on Amazon. Mine was an "impulse buy" at a bookstore, so I guess I have lucked out so far. I saw good reviews for an Antec cooler, but even better ones for this less-expensive Cool Master unit.

So many choices.... Best of luck in creating the "perfect" setup! :thumb:

I haven't tried any of those heat dissipation things but I'm sure they'd help. I think I'd probably use something like this:

41PA81Y6k8L._SS400_.jpg

As far as keeping it simple, an inexpensive mouse will be the ticket. Find one that is comfortable to use and you should be good. That will help to make SketchUp easier to use.

Kerry, I'd be interested to hear what you find. I imagine it would be somewhat of a change from a mouse. I looked at their website but couldn't find very much about it. Thinking about using one's thumb for running the ball, I can see where it could be useful for browsing the web but drawing in SketchUp may be clumsy. I guess you'll get to tell us, though. :thumb:

I had the Trackman mouse with the side ball and when I wore it out I tried one of the centerball ones and found it to slow. I want my Trackman mouse back and when I can find a wireless replacement for it I will be a happy camper.

I used the Trackman with CAD all the time when I ran ALPHCAM on the CNC it works great and easier to move than a push pull mouse ( I hate them)
Oh and it is used with the thumb to move the wheel.

Jay

Jay, how does the Trackman work for orbiting and zooming in SketchUp? Do you still have to go to the toolbar every time you want to change the camera position?