Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a pin nailer

Thinking about a pin nailer

I have been using a Bostitch Brad gun for a while, and have no problems with it at all. Except for the fact that the recessed holes need to be addressed before finishing.

I am finishing 2 desks for my wife right now and am getting tired of filling, staining and sanding holes. I always use 1 3/8 brads and see that pin nailers do handle that size. I always glue the nail anyway, and then clamp overnight usually, so strength of the nail itself is not an issue.

Question.....which one would you recommend, and are there any intricacies about the tool that I should know about? Is it worth it?

Thanks

Most of the more economical pin nailers only handle up to 1" pins, but the Grex, while much more expensive, can handle the longer ones.

The Grex has a very goo reputation for reliability, but it does cost about twice as much as even the Senco. Harbor Freight has one that'll handle 1" pins, and they sometimes have it on sale for as little as $29.95 - and it's gotten pretty good reviews, too!

FWIW, I have the Senco, and I like it!
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Chris Hatfield is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    I've only shot about twenty pins, but I love my Harbor Freight gun and the HF pins. I haven't, though, bothered to try and hide them since they were on shop gadgets.

I thought I saw a technique somewhere that said to wet the fibers around the pin and they'll swell and hide the pin. No personal experience, though. And the unit is a pin only (at least that's what I remember*), so that might not meet your requirements.

*I have the three gun in a box setup, so I might be confused. The pin nailer isn't on their website anymore.
    Last edited by Chris Hatfield; 02-22-2011 at 09:43 PM.

You're gonna love having a pin nailer, Dom. With a bit of practice, you can literally nail a toothpick to a board. I've got a cheap .23 gauge nailer I got on eBay (equivalent to the ones Harbor Freight sells) and it has served me well the times I've used it. It jams every once in a while, but that's easy to fix and I figure it's the price I pay for having a cheap tool. I use it seldom enough to warrant stepping up to a better one.

If I was using a pin nailer more often, I'd probably be looking at one of the better brands like Senco or Grex. (I really like my Grex pneumatic sander.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

So I can gather from all of this great response that the pins are weaker, but the holes left are unnoticeable?

Thanks to everyone....me thinks a HF trip is coming up

Quote Originally Posted by Dom DiCara View Post
    So I can gather from all of this great response that the pins are weaker, but the holes left are unnoticeable?...
    That pretty much sums it up. The holes aren't quite invisible, but they're dang hard to see, especially after a bit of sanding.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I recently bought a pin nailer from Spot Nails. I've only done one install this afternoon actually,with it but I really liked it. It was $100 delivered to my shop by the guy that runs this area. Good gun, good price and I have lots of Spot Nails guns already so it's just one of the boys now.
    I once heard that cats and women will do darn well what they please and that men and dogs would do well to accept it and just go on.

I had the HF unit and it worked well for a while - perhaps a hundred or so pins. Then it jammed and something broke (don't remember exactly what) so it got tossed. No biggie since I got in sale for $19.99. However, when it came time to replace it I picked this one up at Woodcraft on sale. I've not used it a lot, but it seems much better built than the HF model for only a few bucks more- I think I paid $40 or so. There are about 20 reviews on the Woodcraft site for this tool and no one rated it less than 4 stars.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    That pretty much sums it up. The holes aren't quite invisible, but they're dang hard to see, especially after a bit of sanding.
    Thanks Vaughn and everyone else......tried to find one online at HF, and none is listed.....HMMM....I'll give a call to the store in Daytona tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Dom DiCara View Post
    So I can gather from all of this great response that the pins are weaker, but the holes left are unnoticeable?

Thanks to everyone....me thinks a HF trip is coming up

The holes still have to be filled.

For the most part a micro pinner is borderline useless. For the things it is needed for, it is a lifesaver. Tiny moldings, and cross pinning miters they're great.
    "Do, or do not. There is no try."
    -Yoda