First try at a Celtic Knot

Mason Kuettel

I decided to go ahead and try the Celtic knot on one of my pens, but don't have a table saw or miter saw. All of the cuts were done with a hand saw and an old plastic miter box. I wasn't all that disappointed, but being a geometry teacher I was not completely satisfied with the symmetry--oh well.

Anyway, the finish is CA and I'm honestly not sure what the woods are since I didn't want to use anything fancy on the first try! Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• DSC_0116.JPG
    DSC_0116.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC_0117.JPG
    DSC_0117.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 82
I'd give that one straight "A"s, teach. :thumb: Very nicely done, and proof a person doesn't need a shop full of tools to do nice work.

I'm pretty sure the dark wood is dunno heartwood, with some curly aintsure for the knot. :D

I think you did a great job. Nice thing about the handsaw is that you were able to get a very nice thin kerf for the inlays...

Did you cut all the way through the blank or did you just go almost all the way through? I found it a lot easier to get better symmetry when I stopped cutting all the way through.

I decided to go ahead and try the Celtic knot on one of my pens, but don't have a table saw or miter saw.
All of the cuts were done with a hand saw and an old plastic miter box.
Hello Mason; I guess no one ever told you a celtic knot can't be done that way! Next time pay closer attention.:rofl::rofl:
I wasn't all that disappointed, but being a geometry teacher I was not completely satisfied with the symmetry--oh well.
I see nothing wrong with the symmetry. It looks good to these old eyes. We are our greatest critics though.
Anyway, the finish is CA and I'm honestly not sure what the woods are since I didn't want to use anything fancy on the first try! Thanks for looking.
It really doesn't matter what the woods are, they look good together. I'll be waiting to see more of your work.

I decided to go ahead and try the Celtic knot on one of my pens, but don't have a table saw or miter saw. All of the cuts were done with a hand saw and an old plastic miter box. I wasn't all that disappointed, but being a geometry teacher I was not completely satisfied with the symmetry--oh well.

that's it, I'm hangin up my lathe and camera...

only kidding. No way I'm giving up my lenses. The lathe, however is still out in the deep freeze back of the house.

Mason,
another beautiful pen and equally beautiful photos. No problem with the symmetry here either! Great job!

Really? In that case, I have a treat for you.... You need to watchNice job Mason! :thumb: I need to try one of these sometime.

I have never seen a pen turned before:thumb: I have heard the explanations on how the knots were put together but never quite understood, that sure helped make sense of things. KOOL link Kerry that even for a flat guy was fun to watch:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Mason, after watching the link, I have GREAT appreciation of your pen, WELL DONE:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Very well done for your first Celtic Knot considering you used hand tools!
I have seen lots of Celtic Knots that were done using power tools and fancy jigs that don't even come close to the symmetry you achieved.

Les

I'd blame the geometric error on wood warp...because it really is cool!!! Nice color combination and knot shape. If not mistaken...isn't that Dangedifikno from the Republic of Somewhereorotheraroundhere?

That is a real nice piece of work. As a geomerty teacher, what other configurations can you come up with? I hated geomerty, I barely make it through the coarse in high school, now I find I should have paid more attention. I think I use it more than most other coarses I took.

Props there amigo - That's a keeper for sure! Nice contrasting woods, and nice finish. Im too lazy to do that with power tools, and couldn't possibly consider going out to the garage to handtool the thing out. Regardless of how anyone could arrive there..... it's very nice pen!

Last edited: