Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: getting ready for a project

getting ready for a project

I have not gotten butterflies for many many years. What I need is to get the right feeling to start something. Even a paid job I need to get in the frame of mind to paint or do an extensive restoration on a piece. Same way with gilding, repairing a 600 year old statue or any thing that requires concentration. I will usually put the piece out to look at for a few days to get a look at it as I walk by which gets me thinking of the approach to take in restoring or attacking a job. For drawing or painting that is not just a out of the head drawing I set the pic's up and do the same. Even thought I have concurred the ADD factor with Med's Dose not mean I still do not have 10-15 projects rambling around in the head LOL it's comes down to with one beats me up the most to jump out and work.
    So when your wanting to do something, how do you go about planning ar preparing for the job of project?
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Being a solo act, I get to do the meditate/contemplate thing as well. I will have a couple projects in mind, start laying out potential material; flipping it over, turning the figure this way and that. Eventually inspiration will strike and then I seem to really get focused (read obsessed) with the piece ;-) The ones that go to other homes feel like kids going out into the big wide world.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Always...

For hobby projects and work too.

Sure sometimes the projects are simple enough that I can dive right in, but I find a lot of times I really need to think about things.

That's one of the things I try to do to get to sleep, is to think about all the different options and to try to figure out the best way to do something.

Brent one of Dave's Golden Rule's, I leave my work in the shop. Art is a little different sense my drawing and painting studio in in my Big Chair in front of the TV. But I put pic's up all over the living room and my wife really get annoy at that.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.

I work from home and haven't been to town in over a week...

Makes it hard to leave my work, well, at work, if you know what I mean, and the garage is always right there...

But I think you're right, probably why I've had insomnia lately. Got up at 1:30am last night...

i always joke that things go from evil thought, to evil plan, to evil project. a lot of the time what happens is that i know i need to make a specific something, a small table, chest of drawers, etc, but i have no idea what it will look like. i'll give it some thought, then leave it on the back burner for a while. then it hits, the evil thought. if the thought is evil enough, i may or may not form a picture of it in my mind's eye, then i start jotting down notes, maybe even a rough sketch or two. if it works, i run with it, straight to sketchup, where it becomes the evil plan. this is how it happened with both the side tabe for my friend, and the b26 for the fair, and the grandfather clock. once i get that far, i have no worries about starting the project, i just run with it.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Brent the only time I think about work at home is when I wake up in the middle of the night and can not fall back to sleep and start thinking about work. Like this morning I was in the shop at 4:30AM Just could not sleep. I hit the sack around 9-9:30 and my wife usually dose not get in bed till 1 or 2 and she always wakes me up, even though she dose not mean to. The only way I have found to rectify the matter is take 2 Tylenol PM's but but there not good for more then once or twice a week.

If I think too much about it the project gets put off or just not done.

I make a plan and jump in with both feet. Clean up my mistakes as I go along.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    I make a plan and jump in with both feet. Clean up my mistakes as I go along.
    Bob my professor in college art would say: that's the sign of a true artist.

As I go through a project, and many are around a year long, I am always thinking ahead. I try not to work on something until I have a clear minds eye view of how it will look, and then how it will be fabricated. Its a bad habit in that sometimes I screw up what I am actually working on, but it is how I have worked my whole life, so it probably will not change.

Sleep? I'm always worrying about work, or lately, worrying about not having any work. If I won the lottery I would still figure out something to stress about. I'd be willing to try and prove myself wrong however......