getting ready for a project

I agonize over a big project, and sometimes make little ones to help me put off the big one. I get to thinking about all the ways I can make a dumb mistake, and mess up hours or days of prior work.

Sometimes I think through the next steps as I'm preparing for sleep. That at least is helpful, and invigorates the next morning.

ken, I break it down into processes when Im doing something big.
Looking at the entire project can be overwhelming when its still in your head.

I dont think about construction or assmebly, I only think about wood selection and sorting out the right lumber.

Then I start thinking about milling it. Planing it close, jointing, cutting it close.
And I label it all.

Then I start processing the different parts according to what I need to do to them. like route, mortise or tenon, and do all parts together so machine setup is minimum.

I dont think about router work when Im cutting mortises on the mortise machine, its all about mortises that day or those hours.

Your right Larry. I've had that painting sitting over my computer for a month now. I am ready to tackle it. This is Grosvenors Great Grandfather on his mothers side. I can see a strong resemblance. He knows he will get a good price from me so I am honored to have gained his respect for such a task.