Wood carving?

Hi Frank.

The sign looks great! I like the green contrast against the light colour of the background.

However, have you had a thought about how it will look at dark? Will it be illuminated? If so at what angle? Be aware of the different effects one can achieve by adecuate lightning, remember that reliefs cast shadows, and sometimes those shadows can have a positive or negative effect on the perception of the sign.

:eek: I may be overdoing it, I think this is in part professional deformation but the more things you have into account when making anything, the better it will come out at the end.

I'm looking forward to see the final result
Thanks Toni.

For this sign, I do not expect it to be seen in the dark and there will be no lighting on it. The building is on a remote lake with little or no boat trafic after sunset.

But, I will certainly consider your advice for future signs placed in other spots.

Last edited:
Hi Frank.

Just one more thing, we all tend to think that signs in capital letters are best readable from the distance. Well... in reality it works the other way around.

When looking at a sign from a distance we can make out what is written on it by identifying the shape of the word, helped by the different shapes of the consonants that are on it. While if the sign is written only in capital letters, when we reach that critical distance we only perceive the word as a strap and we can't make out what is saying.

You can see it by yourself with a simple trial. Have someone print two different words of the same number of letters, one in capital ones and the other in small letters on two A4 paper sheets. Make this person place them really far away from you ( you shouldn't know wich words are) and start walking towards them.
You'll notice that you'll be able to know what is written on the one that is in small letters before that the one that is in capitals.

:eek: Sorry I think I got carried away. But I'm passionate about perception issues.
Thanks Toni, I did the experiment and you are right.

I will definately keep this in mind for future signs.

That's very interesting Toni. I guess I have never given it much thought. I guess our dept. of transportation should re-think stop signs and other road signs!:huh: