Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did someone mention cookies?

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan

Did someone mention cookies?

I think I'll need a bunch to munch while I free fall into this abyss.

First off, never touched a lathe until today, though I once 'turned' a profit, back in '72 IIRC . Found this 12x36 Craftsman on CL for $50.00, and the tools for $20.00 from the same fella. Hope it's good enough to learn something with, even if it's nothing more than the physics of projectiles vs old & slow reflexes.

Here's how it came home...

and after a little cleaning...

Question... there was a stabilizer plate{smaller of the two, below} and what I assume is a sanding disc plate, anyways...was the stabilizer just a fluke in the box of parts,or is there a time in turning one would use one?

Tomorrow I plan a rewiring the power and starring at my little work space wondering where this will fit, maybe even tackle some sharpening.

Worse comes to worst, I can say I 'turned' loose of some cash for a large paper weight.

PS: hope not to drive ya all crazy with too many questions
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

ABQ NM
    Ah, another one bites the dust. While it's a bit limited compared to many of the newer machines, that lathe should be plenty good to get you hooked. Then it'll probably become the most expensive $70 you've ever spent as you hike along the upgrade path, and you'll love every minute of it. Congrats, Ken.

I have no idea what the two disks are for. I'm not familiar with that particular lathe, but I suspect there are others here who've turned on one.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

S E Washington State
    I think that bigger disk is for a table saw sanding disk. Maybe not though, looks pretty thin. You will enjoy the lathe but start saving your money for the next one. I will cost you a lot more and it will happen.
    "We the People ......"

Goodland, Kansas
    Congrats on your lathe and tools. As others have said it isn't the intial cost it is the upgrade path you will be taking.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Mountain Home, Arkansas
    Congrats. You will enjoy.
    I have a friend who has one of those and turns out some beautiful work. He can afford anything he wants but just doesn't see the need to upgrade.
    And, do ask questions. That is the reason the forum exists.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Los Angeles, CA

It looks like a nice starter lathe.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

Do your self a favor. Take your wallet in and give it to the wife to keep. If you don't do that you can't say we didn't warn you that the up grades where going to get expansive.
    yes we tell everyone we have cookies. What we leave out is our cookies are expansive.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

GTA Ontario Canada
    Good bargain there Ken and you cleaned it up well. Enjoy but be prepared for spending more money.

Central Illinois
    Welcome to the Vortex, Ken.

RULE #1 - Never stand in the "Fly zone!

Rule #2 - Keep your tools VERY Sharp.

Rule #3 - Practice

Rule #4 - HAVE FUN!!!!!!!

Good luck and pleasant Practice sessions. Remember--- All of us were where you are now.

Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

Reno, Nv
    Rule #5 Ask lot's of questions

Rule #6 take lot's of pic's to chronicle your fall

Rule #7 Have a list of stuff to buy your wife before you ask for the next vortex sucker thingy

Have a ball!!!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots