Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trend Airshield Pro

Trend Airshield Pro

Been having a real problem turning lately. Get to where I can't breath and wake up with my eyes all puffy. Last thing I turned is a piece of black walnut. I got physically sick, almost vomited from coughing. I tried a Resp-O-Rator and it helped but didn't help the puffy watery eyes. So I bit the bullet and ordered a Trend Airshield Pro. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I'm very happy with it so far although I just got it and have only been able to try it once. They are expensive, but so is a lung replacement, if you can get one. I think it is really going to make turning enjoyable again. The cheapest place I could find to get on was from Performance Tool Center. $298, no shipping or taxes.
    "We the People ......"

Paul, I really have to blunt about this. I am speaking from direct experience, as a licensed practitioner and some regrettable personal issues.
    If you or anyone are/is turning with out protecting your lungs...you may want to re-evaluate your education level. Any and all wood will cause airway irritation and inflammation over time. Fix it and stop short changing your family and life in general. I'm having surgery in the next few week to remove an adenoma in my right lung with severe inflammation in both lungs because I was stupid. I'll draw the line at saying I was stupid but if the shoe fits....
    A hospital stay from what I did to myself will run $35,000. I have excellent insurance. If anyone out there doesn't...I don't want to pay for you. Buy protection, use it...and think of what you are going to miss...ask your family if they want you doing this hobby with or without a respirator. Stop being a hero, or in a hurry, or whatever excuse anyone may generate to justify hitting the shop without your lungs covered. If I made someone mad...good...you are welcome to take my place when I have surgery.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Good choice, Paul. I have the older Airshield, but I swear by it.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I absolutely love my Airshield Pro. Don't know how I got along without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    Paul, I really have to blunt about this. I am speaking from direct experience, as a licensed practitioner and some regrettable personal issues.
    Jim, Just curious, are you saying that your health issue is directly related to your turning? Or that perhaps it contributed to?

I think your post is a pretty good wake up call, period...

Ok, so it looks like you can get accessory ear protection to go with the Airshield. Do regular ear muffs fit around/on it? I kind of like my worktunes when I'm in the garage.

Brent, not sure about the Pro, but the original Airshield doesn't accommodate headphones or ear muffs.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Brent I think the only way you could do it is if you can have the thingy that goes over you head (normally) go around the back of your neck, or buy the muffs they sell and figure a way to attach you headphones to their set up. Probably not doable.

Jim, I hope I got over stupid soon enough. I wish you well on the surgery. Please keep us informed on your progress.
    Last edited by Paul Douglass; 02-26-2011 at 12:40 AM.
    "We the People ......"

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Jim, Just curious, are you saying that your health issue is directly related to your turning? Or that perhaps it contributed to?

I think your post is a pretty good wake up call, period...

Ok, so it looks like you can get accessory ear protection to go with the Airshield. Do regular ear muffs fit around/on it? I kind of like my worktunes when I'm in the garage.
    Brent, here what is proven by medical research...wood dust (as quoted...take it to mean???) is irritating to airways and bronchial passages. My adenoma has an etiology of "don't know" and I mean that. As I was waking up, I ask my pulmonologist what caused this...he said..."just luck". But he gave me a series of pictures...my airways were Very!! inflamed. He said "I know you do a lot of woodwork, (I had given him a pen) lay off for a while, your lungs need a break"
    To qualify this...Karl is well respected worldwide as a pulmunologist (lung Doctor)...it's not a matter of cost. I live in a crappy area of California and he has a ton of research capabilities here. It does not hurt my cause that we work together. To this end, I can and will pass on what I am told will improve my "cure rate" and lung health. People can do what they will with it, but it all comes from medical research, not from my garage or anger over my illness.
    Paul...get the best money can buy. Live to a ripe old age with healthy lungs. I really don't want you to die of respiratory failure due to particulate inflammation. My stereo in the garage/shop is really loud...turn yours up.
    Paul...PM sent
    Last edited by Jim Burr; 02-26-2011 at 01:48 AM.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Well, I know I'm probably as guilty as a lot of guys on here of not using filter masks.

I'd think if I had something like the Trend airshield, I'd probably be more likely to use it.

It looks pretty easy to put on and off.

I guess I could always just use earbuds with the accessory hearing protection that you can get for it.

Do you guys with the trends just put them on and leave them on the whole time in the shop? Or do you find you put them on and off a bit...

Seriously considering getting one. I've been cutting some wood on the table saw and the DC hasn't really been convenient to use, so I've gone without it. I have noticed after that a larger than usual accumulation of 'stuff' in my nose... I assume that's not a good sign...

Well, I cant tell you why I never ended up with more serious respitory problems than I deal with now. I, like Paul, picked up an airshield pro based on need and recommendation of Vaughn and others. If I can buy 5 extra yrs to turn that means I have 5 more yrs than I would have to enjoy the things, and especially my family and the people I let into my life.

Jim, I'm really sorry to hear the problem is as serious as it isounds. I wish you the best of treatment and the speediest ever recovery!

mj