So I had some time

Chuck Thoits

To build a box for the up coming box swap. But my hart just was not into it. I went out to the shop and started on this

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Than checked on these.

attachment.php

Than made this.

attachment.php

Than cleaned the bench up so I could start on the box. Picked the wood up and put it out of the way and painted shutters until supper.:thumb:
Looks like I managed to put that box making off for another day:thumb::thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Attachments

• tn_stuff 001.JPG
    tn_stuff 001.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 371
  • tn_stuff 002.JPG
    tn_stuff 002.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 366
  • tn_stuff 003.JPG
    tn_stuff 003.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 369
  • tn_stuff 004.JPG
    tn_stuff 004.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 369
  • tn_stuff 005.JPG
    tn_stuff 005.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 370
  • tn_stuff 006.JPG
    tn_stuff 006.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 372
Chuck,

After soaking in the DNA, then putting them in the bag etc, how do you know they are dry enough? Just through experience, a moisture meter, weight, or by how the stars are aligned?

If I were to cut some green wood, then do the DNA soak, will it safely dry out the wood quickly to a under 10% moisture content? I know the alcohol absorbs the water, just wasn't sure how far it actually takes the moisture content too. (actually, this is the first I've ever heard of doing this!)

Love your work, after the box swap I'll try my hand at a mallet.:thumb::thumb:

Brian

glenn that one is for when one doesnt see as clearly the next mourning,, then yu use the big end if your sharpe as a tack in the am then yu can use the smaller end which will make the mallet last longer:rofl:

Larry might be on to something. But the truth be known That mallet was born from other things.
See I had one more handle blank than I did mallet heads. So I got looking around and there on the shelf was this mug making jig. well it is just about the right size and has some heft to it. So if you put it back on the lathe and turn that grove off and flatten the ends vol-la a mallet head.:thumb:
Oh and it was a dry piece of rock maple so it will make a fine mallet and I could go right from turning to finished with out waiting fro the DNA to do it's trick.:thumb::thumb:

Well today started off bout the same way yesterday did. With no interest in making a box LOL Just plan gad no idea of what I wanted to build and with out a plan I like in my head there is no build. LOL Cleaned for awhile than trashed some wood. Got feed up with the shop and came in to watch NAPCAR. Sat down on the couch and watched the first few laps and that's when it hit. Inspiration I had an idea. So off i went back to the shop and built the front and back of the box. Next up the ends than to come up with a bottom and top.:thumb:

I've got the idea for the box, but not the shop to build it in! I did a little work out there today. Cut a few more shelves, put one over the window, and cut the sides for about 10 drawers to fit into my cabs. If I can get those put together this next week, next weekend I'll start on my box for the box swap...

So the heads have been wrapped up for around 10 days. Tonight for fun I weighed them. (wish I had done that when I took them out) Next week I'll weight them again and see if there is any change. If they weight the same I am guessing that they are dry:dunno::dunno:
We'll see if Brian is on to some thing with the weight thing.:thumb:

So I weighed them again today on average they have dropped .5 oz. So going by weight they are still drying out.:dunno:

While I was weighing things I weighed the heads. They have all lost about an OZ from the last time I weighed them.:thumb:
Still drying......Man I hate waiting for stuff to dry:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Another 10 days and they have all lost weight. Odd thing is that 2 out of 6 lost a half oz and the other 4 all lost an oz.:dunno::dunno:

I believe this batch is ready to finish. They only lost .01 of an OZ scents the last time they where weighed 10 days ago. So now to go unwrap them just like Xmas.:thumb: